Two questions

Xen

Arachnopeon
Hello all I am interested in the hobby and have two questions...

1.What permit is required to receive a tarantula through ups,fed ex, ext.
(I live in Buffalo, New York just to specify.)

2. I am planning on purchasing a pink zebra beauty (Eupalaestrus campestratus) as my first tarantula as I heard they are more on the docile side and are quite easy to care for. So I have been searching around and I cannot seem to find anyone who is selling them at the time. I am looking in the range of sling-juvie so if anyone could point me in the correct direction that would be pretty helpful thanks.:D:D:D

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am pretty sure it is illegal to have tarantulas shipped to you for any reason other than scientific research by USPS, but then again no one would ever open it. Everyone here has never been caught, and I don't think anyone that would be handling with package would care to be honest. Great choice for a first tarantula, I have a PZB and she is very sweet. If you are looking for one, but cannot find any from the dealers on the internet, try the classified section here.

Xen

Arachnopeon
I am pretty sure it is illegal to have tarantulas shipped to you for any reason other than scientific research by USPS, but then again no one would ever open it. Everyone here has never been caught, and I don't think anyone that would be handling with package would care to be honest. Great choice for a first tarantula, I have a PZB and she is very sweet. If you are looking for one, but cannot find any from the dealers on the internet, try the classified section here.
Haha alright I would hope not. Yea I have also looked around in the classifieds and did not see any I will take a better look next time. I was also thinking about a g. pulchra because I have seen a few for sale and I love the black color but their growth rate is very slow. And do you have a broad idea on the growth rate of the PZB because I would like to get a tarantula on the quicker growing side if you had any you could name off the top of your head that would be helpful.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
First, "Welcome to the hobby!"

And, "Welcome to these forums!"

Hello all I am interested in the hobby and have two questions...
Then perhaps you need to read Stan"s Rant at http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/stansrant.html.

... 1.What permit is required to receive a tarantula through ups,fed ex, ext.
(I live in Buffalo, New York just to specify.) ...
Basically this isn't your problem. The shipper has to worry about how they're going to safely (and possibly legally) get the tarantula to you.

... 2. I am planning on purchasing a pink zebra beauty (Eupalaestrus campestratus) ... So I have been searching around and I cannot seem to find anyone who is selling them at the time. ...
Consult the "For Sale/Trade/Want to Buy" board on these forums at http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/forumdisplay.php?f=24. Also, check for similar boards on other forums.

Breeding tarantulas is pretty much a hit or miss thing, an art not a science. As a result, babies are usually only available when some enthusiast manages to get a pair to breed successfully. You may not see any of your favorite breed for a year or two, maybe more. Then, all of a sudden, everybody is giving them away because there are too many on the market. Be patient. There are lots of other tarantulas that also make good beginner's pets.

Lastly, has anyone told you of the tarantula enthusiast's lament?

LIKE THOSE POTATO CHIPS, YOU CAN'T HAVE JUST ONE!

You've been warned.

Xen

Arachnopeon
First, "Welcome to the hobby!"

And, "Welcome to these forums!"

Then perhaps you need to read Stan"s Rant at http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/stansrant.html.

Basically this isn't your problem. The shipper has to worry about how they're going to safely (and possibly legally) get the tarantula to you.

Consult the "For Sale/Trade/Want to Buy" board on these forums at http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/forumdisplay.php?f=24. Also, check for similar boards on other forums.

Breeding tarantulas is pretty much a hit or miss thing, an art not a science. As a result, babies are usually only available when some enthusiast manages to get a pair to breed successfully. You may not see any of your favorite breed for a year or two, maybe more. Then, all of a sudden, everybody is giving them away because there are too many on the market. Be patient. There are lots of other tarantulas that also make good beginner's pets.

Lastly, has anyone told you of the tarantula enthusiast's lament?

LIKE THOSE POTATO CHIPS, YOU CAN'T HAVE JUST ONE!

You've been warned.
Thank your for the welcome and for the help and yes I have done plenty of research before I decided I was going to purchase a T. I have also checked the classifieds but maybe I missed one or something also I will be sure to check out that link more info could not hurt.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Haha alright I would hope not. Yea I have also looked around in the classifieds and did not see any I will take a better look next time. I was also thinking about a g. pulchra because I have seen a few for sale and I love the black color but their growth rate is very slow. And do you have a broad idea on the growth rate of the PZB because I would like to get a tarantula on the quicker growing side if you had any you could name off the top of your head that would be helpful.
They are absolutely awesome. They can grow to about 3" in about a year, then they sloooooow down. It can take another 3 years for them to go from 3" to 7". But, it is well worth the wait. They seem develop the black coloration at around 2.5-3".

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you want a PZB , I wouldn't get it as a sling LOL . They are very slow growers from what I heard , but I guess its worth it :) I seen a Adult Female 4.5" go for $60.00