Two of my Solifugids had eggs...

aaandyyy5

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi
Any tips on the egg care. One female died short after laying the eggs. The other one is still alive. They are from Langtry, Texas.

Thanks
Andy

Last edited:

Zach Valois

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
neat stuff,
first off keep the eggs humid (about 70-75%), and at an ambient temp in the low to mid 80's. Being as this appears to be some type of Eremobatid (need mesal>lateral view of chelicera for possible species id) the eggs could hatch between 20-70 days depending on species and abiotic conditions. The first stage will ofcourse be the post-embryo stage, followed by a molt to the 1st instar in seven-thirteen days respectively. The young usually will not feed till the second instar, after the second instar (or second molt; twelve to twenty five days in my experiance with Eremobatids) is the time to separate the young into individual containers, and start feeding (live/pre-killed pinhead crickets, or fruitflys. I have had success with both).

Please preserve dead specimens in 70% iso., or freeze them. I will pay for solfiugae dead or alive, if properly preserved. Locality information is essential but not mandatory. This includes undeveloped eggs.

Please keep us posted, and if possible document everything with notes and a camera.

thanks alot of sharing and goodluck.

Zach

Zach Valois

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ofcourse as with theraphosids, don't get the eggs wet or make it so humid and stagnant that mold or fungi develops. Happens all to easy.