Two New Ferrets!

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi, The other day I bought two Baby Ferrets from a Store that I work at. Surprisingly they are much easier to take care of then I thought, now that I have added Three more litter boxes into their cage, and changed their bedding. One of them has the normal brown pattern, the other is white with a brown ring on its neck. Here is a picture of them both in their cage, Also does anyone know what they can have as treats, Can they eat Vegetables? Fruits? I have read that in the wild they are carnivorous, Do they need any meat other then their normal dry diet? So far They both are very very active, and always banging on the side of the cage when I walk by, They like to fight each other, Also is it normal for them to run all over the place and jump and bite everything they find when I let them out? (don't worry I watch them carefully, make sure they don't eat or break anything). Well Here are the pictures.

I am also bringing them to the Vet this Monday for their shots.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ferrets are NOT wild animals, anymore than Yorkshire Terriers are, so a commercial ferret diet or high-quality cat foot is fine. Yeah, I know that there will be an "expert" or two out there who swears that ferrets can't do well on cat food, but for the 18 years that I bred and showed ferrets, when there WAS no commercial ferret food available, and still had ferrets that lived 11-13 years, typically, I sure had no problems with cat food. My current two pet ferrets, aged six and eight, are doing just fine on a diet of Feline Eukanuba, dry food. If you feel it's necessary to feed dogs and cats a raw diet, then you might wanna try it with the ferrets, but for most people, a commercial dry diet works well.

pitbulllady

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Aw how cute, I wish I could get some here, but they are illegal... to buy atleast. Thanks for sharing!

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How Do I litter Box Train them? They just decided to make a huge pile this morning right between two litter boxes.

titus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How Do I litter Box Train them? They just decided to make a huge pile this morning right between two litter boxes.
With lot's of time and low expections. Not to bring you down. I've had multiple ferrets and have 5 living with me now. Train them as you would a dog. If they do whats right give them a treat (watch for the fakers, some wat learn that if they look like there going they can get a freebie). I've been able to train mine to make the box about 75% of the time. So don't get your hopes to high. Just be glad it's not a Great Dane.

titus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Also does anyone know what they can have as treats, Can they eat Vegetables? Fruits? I have read that in the wild they are carnivorous, Do they need any meat other then their normal dry diet? So far They both are very very active, and always banging on the side of the cage when I walk by, They like to fight each other, Also is it normal for them to run all over the place and jump and bite everything they find when I let them out?
Addressing your first post, but first very cute ferrets. They can have cooked veggies though mine never seem to eat them. And fruits are ok, Rasins are a hit along with bannana chips (don't give too many). You don't need to add meat to their diet as long as it's high protien at least 25% (Kitten food is good when a quality ferret food can't be found) though ours get cooked chicken wings or raw egg yoke as a treat. You should let them run on their own at least 2 hours a day. Best at the same time each day to set a sleep Play schedule. Last, it's normal some call it the weasle waltz, some the war dance. They often do it when there excited and feeling playful. (It's abit funny seeing a 3 year 5lb. Ferret whos really too lazy from sleep try to do this when another ferret passes by).

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Don't leave anything lying about that you are attached to, like car keys. Mine used to sreal anything he could drag off. He used to take my pack of cigarettes and remove the individual cigs and hide them. Which were then useless due to the pinholes made from his teeth. I worried at first that he might eat them and get ill, but he apparently had more sense than I did and knew they were not good for him!

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thank you all for your replies, just a quick question will they live a full healthy happy life on this diet "Marshal Farms Premium Ferret Diet"

Ty

ERic

*edit* oh and how big do ferrets get as adults? any pictures?

titus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've never really liked Mashalls in any way they make bad buissnes, but thats a whole nother story. I can't say as I can't rember their ingredients. If you check some of the ferret forums most have a food comparison chart. As for pictures you asked you shall recive.

Vince our biggest guy at the time (Jake was bigger god bless him)

Harrley Quinn one of our females

so up to about 1.5 feet (without tail) and up to 5bls. is avarage.

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice pictures, Ty, also Does marshal Farms sell healthy Ferrets, Because both mine are from their? Will they live as long as they are suppose too?

Ty

Eric

Heather

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What a precious pair you have!

I never had luck with the litter box training... It really seemed to be based on their mood whether they used it or not.

Mine did that wacky weasel dance all the time!

My first ferret loved to steal potatoes and munch on them under the recliner. Maybe offer one to them and see if they like it?

Ophidio

Arachnopeon
I'm sorry to tell you this, but Marshall ferrets are notorious for developing health problems at around 3-4 years of age, typically various forms of cancer. I had 3 marshall ferrets years ago, all bought at the same time...all developed adrenal tumours and liver problems shortly after their 4th birthday. They were fed a mix of Marshall ferret food and Eukanuba kitten food. Got the best of care, but still got sick. The treatment costs were astronomical, given that it was x3, and while I did the best I could for them I had them euthanized eventually :( .

Be aware that ferrets are just prone to accidents and illness and most will require costly veterinary care at some point in their life. They are not "low maintenance" pets by any means, I think only dogs rank as being more high-maintenance when it comes to typical mammal house pets.

Sorry to be negative but I thought you should know. On the positive side, they are very fun to play with, or to watch play with each other! Very intelligent too, they can be trained to do simple tricks. Don't expect them to ever be 100% litter trained though. Mine had the annoying habit of pooping in the box, and then digging all the litter out of it or flipping the box over. They love making messes. Be careful with your carpet too they like to dig and scratch at carpeting, especially under doorways.

Again, it is too bad you aquired marshall ferrets without knowing the problems they often have, but make the most of your pets, love them but keep a close eye out for health issues and get on it pronto if you suspect a problem!! They can go from being perfectly healthy to sick and dying in a very short time due to their small size and high metabolism.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Ophidio,

Have you bought ferrets from other "farms" ? If so where your experiences
better than Marshalls?

Later, Tom

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well, i still suggest raw feeding, but i know it is very very hard for a ferret to switch their diet
but I used to fed mine defroze feeder rodents and whole ground rabbits
and I believe its more healthy than commercial pet foods

just my two cents

titus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a hard time beliving that Marshall causes their ferrets health problems, I dissagree with the way they breed and house their ferrets on their "farms". Ferrets are just prone to heath problems, canser above all. I've never had a Farmed ferret all mine have come from well known breeders. Over the last two years I've lost one to a nuroliogical disorder, one to an unknown cause, and one has devloped AD. 2-4 years of age is the heath problem zone. If their going to get somthing this is the time. I also know people who have had Marshall ferrets and had no problems at all. I think it's just seen more as Marshall produces so many ferrets.

Spiderface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Both of my ferrets come from Marshalls and they are healthy and very friendly. They never bite and one of them will lick you as soon as it is within reach of your face. I would check out a few ferret forums around the net to get a better idea of a healthy diet. I mix Innova ferret food with Ultimate 8 in 1. Stay away from foods high in sugar. Try this site.

http://www.lovingferrets.com/

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here is an Update, They are the most evil creatures I have ever seen. These two always find a way to take all my time and effort and destroy it, They have ripped up the newspaper bedding, even when I taped it down, They have destroyed every attempt to litter box train them, they flip over their food bowl, they crap everywhere, and when I take them out, They pay little or no attention to me at all, They never answer to their names, never stand still when I take them out, (they were much calmer at the store) and I think the ones I have either were mistreated by the previous owner (they had been bought before then returned) or they just act kind and lovely at the store and once they are at your home they take full advantage, They are cute don't get me wrong but they are impossible to play with because they either run away under a sofa, or they are fighting eachother. What can I do? Is it possible to fix them? or do I have to just give them away and try better next time? (Returning them is out of the question, I would never force the store I work at to deal with these terrible, Evil little monsters)

Is it possible they are just going through this time in their life? Or Am I doomed to clean and deal with these noisy animals forever?

Please Help...

Eric

Spiderface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here is an Update, They are the most evil creatures I have ever seen. These two always find a way to take all my time and effort and destroy it, They have ripped up the newspaper bedding, even when I taped it down, They have destroyed every attempt to litter box train them, they flip over their food bowl, they crap everywhere, and when I take them out, They pay little or no attention to me at all, They never answer to their names, never stand still when I take them out, (they were much calmer at the store) and I think the ones I have either were mistreated by the previous owner (they had been bought before then returned) or they just act kind and lovely at the store and once they are at your home they take full advantage, They are cute don't get me wrong but they are impossible to play with because they either run away under a sofa, or they are fighting eachother. What can I do? Is it possible to fix them? or do I have to just give them away and try better next time? (Returning them is out of the question, I would never force the store I work at to deal with these terrible, Evil little monsters)

Is it possible they are just going through this time in their life? Or Am I doomed to clean and deal with these noisy animals forever?

Please Help...

Eric
Sounds like they were not handled much and Possibly were allowed to free roam most of the time before they arrived in your care. On the plus side they are still pretty smart critters and can still learn to be litter trained but you have to stay consistent. That is why I bought young ferrets and started them off right from day one. check out that link I gave you earlier you should be able to get some advice from them.

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
um, you may have misunderstood what I am saying, These guys were perfectly calm at the store and I have played with them on many occasions, the never bite, but they Don't Sit Still and they are always completely destroying their cage, I have no way of rewarding them and I have no Rational Way to Punish Them. All I can do is watch them either destroy their cage, or destroy my house.

Please Please Someone Come up with a Solution>?

Surely you all can't possibly have all owned perfect little angels?

Eric