Two new breeding projects!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
We will flood the market with Euathlus. The streets will flood with their slings, and the empire that the rosies have built as the go-to beginner tarantula will crumble. Soon, all will see the might of Euathlus.

A revolution is coming, my friends.
What is with keepers of tarantula...al attempting to dominate the world and starting revolutions....first the Queen, than the pokies, and now Euathlus....apparently, keepers have some unquenched desire to rule the world...:D

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
What is with keepers of tarantula...al attempting to dominate the world and starting revolutions....first the Queen, than the pokies, and now Euathlus....apparently, keepers have some unquenched desire to rule the world...:D
Bow to the curly carapace that is Euathlus!

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Go go little green buddy!!!! Your wait is over. May the female be kind to you and let you live to pair another day.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Well that didn't go well.

The L. parahybana is in premolt. Enough said there.

The E. sp. "Green"... yeah, not great. The male blindly walked into the female, and she took a slap at him. He scurried off - no harm, no foul. But this is the second time in a row that this happened. And I have a theory. This male is fairly old. Old enough that he in entirely unable to climb smooth surfaces; I could literally have him in a topless enclosure with no worries of an escape. I'm beginning to think that there is some correlation between this as his ability to pick up her pheromones. As far as I know, pheromone exchange is done exclusively through the feet and primarily through the pedipalps. If something is preventing him from climbing, perhaps it's also preventing him from even recognizing that she's there? Just a thought. I thought that he was tapping at her the other night, but come to find out it was likely my MF N. coloratovillosus reacting to all the new male blood in the room. Thoughts? Tips? @Blue Jaye, what say you?

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Has anyone raised a Euathlus species from first instar to maturity? I'm curious to know how long that takes.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've had some decently old males pair. Has he made a sperm web? Is she very well fed? Unfortunately he might just be two old but if he is making webs he should be able to pair. It would be more of a potency factor at his stage. And make sure you try to pair when she is showing signs of being receptive. If all is for not, you gained some more experience and he at least got a chance. It was so hard to find him a female that's why I said let's at least give it a go. @EulersK Thank you for giving the old man a shot. If they do pair and she wants to eat him, let her. It will provide for a sac and he will not have to just dwindle away day after day. I've seen so many of my mms last to long and it seems rather rough on them.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Has he made a sperm web? Is she very well fed? Unfortunately he might just be two old but if he is making webs he should be able to pair. It would be more of a potency factor at his stage. And make sure you try to pair when she is showing signs of being receptive.
I don't believe that he's made a sperm web under my care, but there's clearly an old one from when he was still with you. So I'm assuming he has loaded palps. She is very well fed, yes. She was reluctant to take a gravid roach, but she did it. He hasn't taken food, though.

I'm going to put them in a warm room tonight, swap some webbing, and try again after a few hours of that. If it's to be anything like the E. truculentus, this should not be a long process. If he doesn't start tapping within ten minutes, then I'll try again another day.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
No meaningful update, no. I had the same reaction from them as I recounted above. I'm going to get it nice and toasty in here tonight and try to pair them past midnight. If the warm night doesn't get them in the mood, then I'm out of ideas!

Estein

Arachnoknight
No meaningful update, no. I had the same reaction from them as I recounted above. I'm going to get it nice and toasty in here tonight and try to pair them past midnight. If the warm night doesn't get them in the mood, then I'm out of ideas!
Did you try some sexy music?

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
@EulersK i am curious. What temp are you keeping them at ? They reason I ask is, he has been kept in a rather warm t room and if your temps are low then he nor she may not pair as they tend to pair in warmer seasons and he's used to being warmer. A drop in temp might make him hunker down instead of breed.