Two guaranteed females molted male this week!

absoluteyellow

Arachnopeon
Yeah, my guaranteed females molted and turned out to be males in the same week.

I'm extremely disappointed. One of the parties that sold the Ts to me was a reputable breeder. The other one is not as big as the first guy but has very good reviews/no negative reviews.

Now I feel like I have been betrayed. I paid extra money to get females but now I have to ship them back or sell them, which I hate.

So please people if you aren't sure the sex of your Ts, don't guarantee. It really sucks.

What's the standard practice for sellers if they sold wrongfully sexed Ts?
I hope I can get my money back.

PS. Please don't ask me who they are. I will post reviews in the review section after they response.

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What's the standard practice for sellers if they sold wrongfully sexed Ts?
I hope I can get my money back.
If it was a "guaranteed" female it should work like any other guarantee. You should get your money back , or possibly a replacement option depending on the sellers stock.

I always save transaction e-mails. If you have it, you should forward to the seller along with a pic of the exuvium or tarantula itself if it's mature. You didn't specify how you know they are male. I would expect a refund for at least the purchase price. Shipping costs may depend on the seller, and what else you ordered...

Good luck...
Scott

Kirk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Did they tell you they sexed them by actually seeing spermathecae, or simply by external inspection? A guarantee of sex should be based on the former, and I'd never trust a judgement otherwise.

absoluteyellow

Arachnopeon
Did they tell you they sexed them by actually seeing spermathecae, or simply by external inspection? A guarantee of sex should be based on the former, and I'd never trust a judgement otherwise.
I really had no idea how they sexed the Ts. I myself checked the spermathecaes of the Ts and sent pics to them. They all agree the molts are of male Ts.

Last edited:

biomarine2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Like Loudog, I have heard this story many times and has happened to me once. I'm very curious to see how this one turns out.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ah thats to bad!You should def be able to get your money back or a replacement including cost of shipping!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have sold 100's if not 1000's of Ts with nothing but an external inspection and never been contacted and told there was a mistake. It can be done. And when the day comes that I do make a mistake, (and that might happen) I'll stand behind my guarantee.
I have been sold a few Ts that were sexed using a microscope looking at the molt and they ended up being the opposite of what was promised. The one common factor? HUMAN ERROR. Crap happens, so long as there is a sex guarantee on the spider I am buying I don't care of the seller used braille to deduce the sex.

To the Op, I hope you got things taken care of. It's always a bummer when things like this happen.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
If it was guaranteed female, contact the dealer and get your money back.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have sold 100's if not 1000's of Ts with nothing but an external inspection and never been contacted and told there was a mistake. It can be done. And when the day comes that I do make a mistake, (and that might happen) I'll stand behind my guarantee.
I have been sold a few Ts that were sexed using a microscope looking at the molt and they ended up being the opposite of what was promised. The one common factor? HUMAN ERROR. Crap happens, so long as there is a sex guarantee on the spider I am buying I don't care of the seller used braille to deduce the sex.

To the Op, I hope you got things taken care of. It's always a bummer when things like this happen.
I agree with that, people make mistakes...some of us more than others (looks in mirror) anyway, if its guaranteed, and the seller stands behind it its fine. HOWEVER, if i ordered a male of a species you just cant get males of , and it ends up female it could dampen my breeding project lol
Can you tell it happened ? lol

JDeRosa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Same happened to me. I e-mailed the guy. He let me keep the male AND he sent me a female free!

ftorres

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello All,
It has happened to me as well, and in one occasion the guaranteed male turned out to be female, so I got to keep her a I also got a smaller male.

My latest disapointment was when my Male T apophysis matured, but without tibial hooks, and my female T apophysis matured too, now I am afraid both are T blondi instead of T apophysis and I got both from reputable breeders, paid a lot of money and it was long time ago and I did not keep the transaction records, and I remember the dealers but I don't remember wich one came from who.

anyways

good luck with your males.

francisco

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
you probably already know this but incase you do not or someone else does not know. T. apophysis do not have very big hooks anyway , just nubs really.
not what you woudl think . i mean A small A. anax has bigger hooks lol by a long shot. if T. apophysis had hooks the same proportion as most other hooked species they would be an inch or inch and a half lol
anyway you may want to look closely

Hello All,
It has happened to me as well, and in one occasion the guaranteed male turned out to be female, so I got to keep her a I also got a smaller male.

My latest disapointment was when my Male T apophysis matured, but without tibial hooks, and my female T apophysis matured too, now I am afraid both are T blondi instead of T apophysis and I got both from reputable breeders, paid a lot of money and it was long time ago and I did not keep the transaction records, and I remember the dealers but I don't remember wich one came from who.

anyways

good luck with your males.

francisco

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thats always a plus. Good dealers/sellers tend to over compensate for mistakes like this. You won't get a complaint out of me for over compensation. {D

Lol yes, yes I can.
what is funny is when you have a "female" of breeding size and your male hooks out and you cant figure out why the "female" is so pissy during mating attempts untill "she" also hooks out lol