Two egg sacks !! Why?

Charles

Arachnopeon
I got a lycosa erythrognatha about a month ago, in one week she made an egg sack. Two weeks ago i´ve taken it from her and incubated it. But today she made another egg sack... Why?? and How??:wall: :?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Double and triple clutching and even more then that is not uncommon with common spiders. Black widows often make three or more sacs in the wild but there are false sacs made to confuse things that might eat the eggs. And if one sac is taken by a predator it might be the dud sac not the real one. So over all I would say its common. They mate once a lifetime sometimes and store the sperm for use whenever.

KUJordan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
basically, true spiders fertilize a bazillion eggs when they mate. I have a large Lycosid in my lab that is still making eggsacs nearly a year since she made her first one. They have so many eggs that as long as they have the nutritional resources to make a new sac, they can.

My first captive bred brown widow has produced her 17th sac now. They have all been fertile and each one gets smaller with fewer number of offspring and even the individual offspring get smaller every sac. It's pretty nutz! I'm not sure, but I think 17 sacs for a widow just might be a record...