Tunnel collapse on emperor scorpion

Red Dog

Arachnopeon
I have 2 Pandinus Imperator's, and they burrow quite frequently. They both are in 3i and one just recently molted into 3i. I mist their enviroment every day to maintain humidity around 55%-70%. Recently, I had a tunnel collapse on top of an emperor, and I dug him out being that there is 3 inches of substrate. and they dug the better part of it about 2 1/2 inches deep.

My questions are: Should I replace the substrate? I know i recently dug up so maybe the top was a bit dryer and i could have made an imbalanced amount of less wet to more wet Coco Fiber. I know i should switch the substrate every 2-3 months. The substrate is about a month old, But should this be an exception?

Also, When a tunnel does collapse, should i dig out my scorpions or should i just try to let them dig there own selves out? I have been trying to do the hides deal where i burry a peice of wood and leave part of it out, but the scorps just tunnel all around the cage and don't use the hides.

Any constructive comments help.

Thanks

- Seth

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What I would do is this...

Take them out. Wet sub really well, but not swampy. Then pack it down really well. Leave a little dip for a temporary burrow, and cover with cork. They will rebuild their tunnels. :) You shouldn't need to redo it yet, especially if you have isos in there. :)

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yep, packing the subtrate down definitely helps in keeping their burrows more solid.

Selket

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Also next time a burrow collapses on an emp, you don't have to dig them out. They built a burrow, so they can dig their way out. This way it will save you trouble and time not having to repack the substrate.