Tucson -- Anyone going??

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
This will be my first time going to an expo but I'm super excited, especially since I started a new job.

I'm glad I found out about this many months ahead of time so I can save up and get back into snakes.

I'm thinking about breeding Albino ball pythons not for sales so much but just to keep raising them from babies. I love when they're small and enjoy seeing the growth process.

I've also been thinking about getting blood pythons, pixie frogs, bearded dragons lol....I'm all over the place...

Is anyone else going?

GingerC

Arachnosquire
Since it's all the way in October, I'll have to give it a definite "maybe". It'll be at least a three hour drive for me, but a reptile expo is worth the road trip in my opinion. Just have to convince the parents.

If I do go, I'll almost definitely be picking up a new mantis if there are any for sale... kinda hard to think about, but my favorite pet isn't going to last until then. :( Another gecko is a possibility too.

(side note, should probably have been put in Arachnofunctions)

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
There is a Tucson Reptile Expo on May 27-28 2017, being advertised in Reptiles Magazine. I'll be there this weekend for sure.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Noooooo don't tell me that lol....ugh....can i get info for that may expo from you please!!

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Noooooo don't tell me that lol....ugh....can i get info for that may expo from you please!!
From the ad on Reptiles magazine web site. See you there.

Repticon Tucson Reptile and Exotic Animal Show
Date/Time
May 27, 2017 to May 28, 2017
10:00 AM until 04:00 PM
Cost
Cost: Adults - $10, Children (5-12) - $5, Under 5 – Free

11300 S. Houghton Rd.
Tucson, AZ
Additional Information
Sponsor
Repticon Reptiles Shows

Phone
863-268-4273

Contact name
Repticon Staff

Contact email
RepticonEvents@repticon.com

Website
http://repticon.com/arizona-2/tucson/

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Can't decide if I want to show up on the first day before all of the good stuff is there or the last day when vendors are dropping their prices to get rid of stock or both days.

Last edited:

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Can't decide if I want to show up on the first day before all of the good stuff is there or the last day when vendors are dropping their prices to get rid of stock or both days.
If you want something specific, go the first day - early! It is SO frustrating to show up on the last day and hear "Oh, I just sold the last one yesterday!" I was unable to make it to the first day of the LA Bug Fair this weekend (family visiting from out-of-town) so just made it this afternoon for the end of it - and heard that more than once from several different vendors.

You can always go back the afternoon of the second day to look for bargains on some of the more abundant critters, but you need to pick up those hard-to-find ones fast!

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
If you want something specific, go the first day - early! It is SO frustrating to show up on the last day and hear "Oh, I just sold the last one yesterday!" I was unable to make it to the first day of the LA Bug Fair this weekend (family visiting from out-of-town) so just made it this afternoon for the end of it - and heard that more than once from several different vendors.

You can always go back the afternoon of the second day to look for bargains on some of the more abundant critters, but you need to pick up those hard-to-find ones fast!

Na...lol... I had everything your just picky lol ;)

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
That was my lunch....would have shared LOL :D

Ya, I could not agree more with you and have said it several times if you snooze you loose. If you really want something either be first to grab it or make arrangements prior to pick it up if a vendor is willing to hold it for you. Supply and demand at its basic...cant buy what's not there. Great show though and enjoyed seeing you as always Chanda.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Are you looking for Texas golds or Sonoran Chocolates?
Either, but I ended up picking up a couple of Florida ivories instead - and mentally kicking myself for not buying them in OC last month at Repticon! They had plenty then, so it didn't occur to me that they'd run out! :banghead:

No big deal, though - at least I have some sort of 'pedes to show my students this summer!

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
This will be my first time going to an expo but I'm super excited, especially since I started a new job.

I'm glad I found out about this many months ahead of time so I can save up and get back into snakes.

I'm thinking about breeding Albino ball pythons not for sales so much but just to keep raising them from babies. I love when they're small and enjoy seeing the growth process.

I've also been thinking about getting blood pythons, pixie frogs, bearded dragons lol....I'm all over the place...

Is anyone else going?

i 100% recommend going!

Me and my girlfriend took the drive down from phoenix to tuscon last year for this and it was well worth the drive and nights stay in the hotel.

lots of reptiles, some good T vendors. ended up picking up 7 T's, some crested Gecko's, few scorpions and a skink last year, and most of them were not badly priced either.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Either, but I ended up picking up a couple of Florida ivories instead - and mentally kicking myself for not buying them in OC last month at Repticon! They had plenty then, so it didn't occur to me that they'd run out! :banghead:

No big deal, though - at least I have some sort of 'pedes to show my students this summer!
If I find any this summer I will let you know. I know the location of a a "superpod" of both variants. One in Texas and one in AZ. Superpod is a word that I use to describe a dense population that covers many square miles of territory. I haven't found the technical term for a massive aggregation of millipedes, so in lack of a term like herd, murder, gaggle or congress I use the term superpod. If you know the technical term please tell.

They don't surface every year and sometimes they surface for a few nights and or days and other times they surface for months at a time.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If I find any this summer I will let you know. I know the location of a a "superpod" of both variants. One in Texas and one in AZ. Superpod is a word that I use to describe a dense population that covers many square miles of territory. I haven't found the technical term for a massive aggregation of millipedes, so in lack of a term like herd, murder, gaggle or congress I use the term superpod. If you know the technical term please tell.

They don't surface every year and sometimes they surface for a few nights and or days and other times they surface for months at a time.
Does it seem to be weather dependent? A few years ago I kept finding them here in SoCal just walking around on the street in front of my house or while out hiking - but it's been a while since I've seen any wild ones at all. (I figure the recent drought has a lot to do with it.) We've had a wet spring so I was hoping to find some out and about this year - but so far, no luck. I'm guessing the drought may have knocked back the population sufficiently that it may take a few years to recover.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
I've seen them out on wet years two years in a row, but I have also seen nothing on a wet year for two years in a row after that. The majority of them were adults even though young and sub adults were present. It makes me wonder if they have a synchronized reproduction cycle. There might be some sort of phenomenal trigger for mass aggregation behavior that we don't have knowledge of. The years they came up in Texas it was right outside of my town. They stayed above ground night and day for months on end, even when the humidity was low between rain storms, without that much noticeable variation in their numbers. In the fall the numbers of millipedes decreased pretty rapidly and the ones that were still alive went underground. This was close to a agricultural area and a lot of them were killed by pesticide, but a local invert enthusiast that has made his living, for years, in good part by collecting and selling millipedes from this very superpod said they come out sometimes and sometimes they don't. The superpod is millions strong and the collector has sold 10,000 Texas Golds per shipment to a legal exporter that supplies Germany for some time now. I collected 2,000 of them to try my hand at making a shipment though the exporter via my friend but was told that it wasn't enough to justify the permitting cost. I know that people are going to think that this kind of collection is too heavy but we are talking about a aggregation of millipedes that covers least 200 square miles at the very least. I never found the western border of the population but what I did see was about ten miles north to south and twenty miles wide. There were areas where you could pick up 200 specimens within a stones throw from your car. That being said, I'm not going to reveal the location because I don't want it to become a destination for commercial collectors.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
I have a video of my two year old and I gathering some near a field the day before it was going to be sprayed with pesticide. They don't really congregate as much as they aggregate. They are just in the same general location at the same time. In this case about 200 sq miles of desert. I'll look for the video if I still have it.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
The photos and video I have are from the third day when I took my two year old with me. They are all pictures of him not so much the millipedes. Two thousand collected off of the same 25 acres that were going to get sprayed with pesticide. I had pretty much cleaned out the area by that time. I'd have to figure out how to delete the location data before posting. It wouldn't take too many collectors to wipe out that millipede area and tank the entire market at the same time. I've seen them in other areas too but not like this area. I was swerving all over the road like an insane person trying not to run them over.