T's that DON'T web a lot???

8legfreak

Arachnosquire
I am getting quickly addicted to Ts, but my wife is phobic. She has allowed me to bring in an L.P. and is learning to tolerate it. She has a special distaste for webs/silk. I am interested in a myriad of species, but would like suggestions of those that produce little to no webbing.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
no tarantulas produce no webbing. even the ones that arent well known for their webs make a web mat on the ground eventually.
check out Acanthoscurria geniculata, Brachypelma, Euathlus, Nhandu.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I have a pretty old B.albopilosum and she's an hardcore webber, not like a C.fimbriatus but really, she covered the enclosure :)

I suggest you A.geniculata... they are always out in the open, always a plus, and, aside for the little web-bed prior a molt, a nothing on that sense. But however, just like for temperament, this can vary from specimen to specimen.

8legfreak

Arachnosquire
Thanks, Venom1080, I will. Yeah, I'm sure we can live with a bit of a mat or curtain, but just not a tank full of silk.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
if you ever change your mind about webs, check out Chromatopelma cyanopubescens. ;)

8legfreak

Arachnosquire
if you ever change your mind about webs, check out Chromatopelma cyanopubescens. ;)
Yup, saw a few webbed enclosures when I looked at that one.:anxious: I thought it would be cool to set up a community of M. balfouri, but I think I'll have to wait and see if the lady can learn to accept some silk:banghead:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
My Brachypelma Smithi, Grammostola Pultripes, and Euathlus Species Red aren't doing a lot of highly visible webbing, but you will notice a light web when doing maintenance in the enclosure. When picking up objects some of the substrate will stick together.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I thought it would be cool to set up a community of M. balfouri,
thats a gamble i probably wont ever take. balfouri are expensive as slings and communities dont have a 100% success rate. not worth the risk IMO.

cold blood

Staff member
My Brachypelma Smithi, Grammostola Pultripes, and Euathlus Species Red aren't doing a lot of highly visible webbing, but you will notice a light web when doing maintenance in the enclosure. When picking up objects some of the substrate will stick together.
All good choices. Thrixopelma cyaneolum and okerti are some nice looking ones. For bigger spiders, P. cancerides webs minimally, and I am not sure I have ever really seen a stitch of web in my P. nigricolor enclosure. A. geniculata as well.

thats a gamble i probably wont ever take. balfouri are expensive as slings and communities dont have a 100% success rate. not worth the risk IMO.
I agree, I don't like the idea of communals at all...that said, I think balfouri is the exception to the rule. Indications from people I know with large, long term, multi-generational communals of them have convinced me. I've been told that they grow faster....like much faster, when kept communally.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Yeah that's a super expensive gamble, especially if you're talking about a full on 10+ member community. Yeesh

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I agree, I don't like the idea of communals at all...that said, I think balfouri is the exception to the rule. Indications from people I know with large, long term, multi-generational communals of them have convinced me. I've been told that they grow faster....like much faster, when kept communally.
until more people have kept them successful, i'll hold off starting any communal of my own.

8legfreak

Arachnosquire
It won't happen for a while in my house, but it would be interesting. I've seen a few guys doing communals on youtube, but I will definitely want to do a lot more research. Your inputs are appreciated.:)

cold blood

Staff member
It won't happen for a while in my house, but it would be interesting. I've seen a few guys doing communals on youtube, but I will definitely want to do a lot more research. Your inputs are appreciated.:)
Most of what you see on youtube is absolute garbage, communals included...you see all kinds of stupid stuff on there, often disguised as helpful. Don't research there is what I am saying, this is a better, if not one of the very best place for researching just about anything arachnid. Real keepers, many long time keepers, literally from across the globe, and its active enough here, that any poor or suspect information is quickly corrected.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
People have single Ts and even they don't have a 100% success rate. I understand if you don't want to do a communal though.
Yeah that's a super expensive gamble, especially if you're talking about a full on 10+ member community. Yeesh
You would need a very large enclosure for 10+ IMO. The guy with the 15 T communal didn't have his up but a few months. My 3 and 4 communal enclosures are in pretty big enclosures and the 3 might be getting a rehousing in a few more molts.
until more people have kept them successful, i'll hold off starting any communal of my own.
My last 5 I bought for 30 bucks (if I remember right) each which isn't all that much for Ts. Granted I did buy 5 of them and it was a clean out sale.

@cold blood is right, a lot of people have raised communal setups with this species and had great luck. Some with several generations.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
@Blue Jaye has had her communal running for a while, and has made some very insightful observations about the species and its communal behaviors.

8legfreak

Arachnosquire
@Blue Jaye has had her communal running for a while, and has made some very insightful observations about the species and its communal behaviors.
Thanks again. I will check it out before I dream of doing anything. I agree with you about a lot of garbage on youtube but a great place to see things IF taken with a grain of salt.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
@Trenor Personally I think it would be fascinating to try a communal, especially with an animal that, outside of a couple species, is so well known to be territorial and cannibalistic. It's just that doing it with slings that can cost up to 60-75 bucks each seems like a risk. But then again, if you're only doing 3-4 I'm sure it would be easier to make sure everyone got enough food, etc.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
@Trenor Personally I think it would be fascinating to try a communal, especially with an animal that, outside of a couple species, is so well known to be territorial and cannibalistic. It's just that doing it with slings that can cost up to 60-75 bucks each seems like a risk.
There is a risk to having a communal. I don't want to down play it. My point was there is a risk even if you had 4 in single enclosures.

But then again, if you're only doing 3-4 I'm sure it would be easier to make sure everyone got enough food, etc.
It's really not that hard to make sure they get enough food regardless of how many you have. I place in 4 appropriate size roaches (with the heads mashed) and go to bed. If they are gone in the morning then I place in two more. Do this till there is some left. If a T is hungry it'll go find the roach. The others can't over hog food cause Ts can only eat so much.

Like with most other Ts it's all about shopping around. You can find them relatively cheap sometimes.

I think the biggest thing is to get your keeping down on a smaller setup before going ham and trying to set up a 10+ communal.

CarbonBasedLifeform

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
no tarantulas produce no webbing. even the ones that arent well known for their webs make a web mat on the ground eventually.
check out Acanthoscurria geniculata, Brachypelma, Euathlus, Nhandu.
The above, plus Grammostola. I've never seen my G pulchripes, G pulchra, or G rosea web except for molt webs and maybe some webbing over the substrate.

All of my arboreals web so they should be avoided if you need to avoid webbing. I hope this restriction is lifted though, seeing what webs my Ts make is one of my favorite parts of T keeping!