T's tearing through mesh?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
I've heard a couple of people mention that some T's can tear through the mesh in their enclosure and get out:eek: what kinds of T's can do this so i have a heads up? is it only the large birdeaters? confused... :confused:

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This happens when the spider continually chews on the top of it's tank. Generally, this will be the larger species from what I've heard.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
any species in general though?? I mean maybe a T. blondi is more prone to it than a G. rosea?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Read post #2 again. I was being serious, honest

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are you sure it just didn't like the way the cloth tasted? = P

Avic_Addict

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Before Uni I spent a year or so working in an exotics pet shop and we had a huge female salmon pink birdeater called Pandora that escaped from her tank. We had just put her in it and were happily stood around whatching her explore, then she walked up to the back of the tank, sunk her fangs into the wire mesh and literally started to crank it open like a can opener.

She ended up going in a large glass tank with a heavy glass lid. Fine for a few days then one night after we'd shut shop we were sat in the office and heard a quiet 'chink chink' noise. We went to investigate and it was Pandora, up on her back legs trying to lift the glass lid off. She ended up with a heavy book and a large rock on top of the lid to stop her getting out.

So yes, it is possible and although I'd imagine that any spider with enough mechanical strength to bite through mesh would most likely escape given time, I would be especially wary of keeping any of the larger spiders, particularly T.blondi and any other sizable birdeater in tanks with mesh vents!

:}

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a smithi and an auratum that have left numerous tiny pinprick claw marks around the outside edges of the air holes on their plastic jars lids from where they have hung upside down or from the sides of the jar at the top and stick their legs out through the holes. I also am seeing the start of similar marks on one of my G. pulchra's jar. I doubt they'll ever manage to actually claw their way through the plastic before they outgrow the jars lol.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use Kritter Keepers and Rubbermaid containers purely because of ts picking their way through mesh lids. You only need to find a large T. blondi on your kitchen counter once to decide that a different sort of cage is in order.

chris 71

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ive taken sheets of plexiglass and drilled holes and then siliconed them to the lids for extra seceuty chris..

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
wow! thanks chris!! that is a very good idea and very helpful! :worship: thanks for the tip!!! :D :D :D