Ts sleeping??

guitarlust

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i'm curious as to whether Ts sleep or just spend time in a period of inactivity/daze. what are other opinions?

mikeymo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
this is actually a very good question so i'd love for the more expereinced guys (and gals) on here to answer. I know my b. smithi seems to be "sleeping" 23 hours a day. I'm curious to know if he is, in fact, sleeping. or just chilling out.... :)

_mike

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think they rest in a very aware state. Most animals on earth rest this way so they are ready to run or defend themselves in case of danger. The small amount of activity that tarantulas and other animals do does not require such a stage of rest as we do. Most of their time spent alive is nothing but eating, drinking and resting where humans have a lot more activity physically and neurologically. It's mainly the amount of mental activity humans have that require such a deep state of sleep compared to other animals.

Last edited:

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
........... my b. smithi seems to be "sleeping" 23 hours a day. I'm curious to know if he is, in fact, sleeping. or just chilling out.... :)

_mike
is it snorin??? if it is, yep, its sleepin :D
{D {D {D

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine do sleep. especialy my OBT, it's reactionless whatsoever, I poke it and it starts moving clumsily and slowly, like it's saying "Duuuuhhh...What's the matter?" A few minutes later, it's volatile as always!!!:eek:

They definitively have numb and awaken moments but it vary with species. My blondi never seems to sleep.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Do Ts cry? Can their tears cure cancer? Methinks that is only Chuck Norris' power.

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Although, im no doubt wrong on this, Moths and other inverts go into a kind of comatose state, if i remember correctly its actually triggerd by light intesnity more so than thought processes, and fatigue. I think thats why you can find em in the most conspicuous places, they can be found on pretty much any wall or open surface in the right season here..i think wen they get tired nufin can keep em up!.
Though in relation to a T, i dont think this is the case but maybe some similar reaction, as aposed to what is definitively known as sleep...
With thyer lifestyle, i also think it is best to just call it a state of rest, as its already known.
As they do spend the best part of theyr lives doin sod all, and spring into action only when triggered.. im doubting theres any point in it actually sleeping with such resting, and inactivity.
At that, whats to say a tarantulas 'brain' is comlex enough.Its incredibly simple, and only comprises of 2 ganglions, an upper *supraesophageal gnglion*and lower *subesophageal*, where a mammal has many, many ganglions.

mikeymo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
is it snorin??? if it is, yep, its sleepin :D
{D {D {D
he had his tonsils taken out back in grade 1, so no more snoring for him :p

And all this talk of Chuck Norris has given me a great idea for a name for the Grammastola aureostriatum i plan on getting :clap:

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
he had his tonsils taken out back in grade 1, so no more snoring for him :p

And all this talk of Chuck Norris has given me a great idea for a name for the Grammastola aureostriatum i plan on getting :clap:
Oh Man! Am gettin one of those too!!
Um,........do they snore?.........:D

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mine do sleep. especialy my OBT, it's reactionless whatsoever, I poke it and it starts moving clumsily and slowly, like it's saying "Duuuuhhh...What's the matter?" A few minutes later, it's volatile as always!!!:eek:
I noticed this with my Ts, stroke their hindlegs with a Q-tip in my forceps like it's cool and suddenly in a bewildering burst of Ninja speed face me down with the Crane position.

All this talk of Chuck Norris, my Ts would hand Walker Texas Ranger his @$$ back to him.

*No, I don't play with my tarantulas just performed a litmus test of sorts*

Annie

Arachnopeon
Sometimes my P. regalis sling (2") will be on the side of its tank, with the front couple legs curled up. I think this is how it sleeps b/c it acts freaked out if it's disturbed, more than normal anyway.

SPIDERBYTE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My rosea used to freak out when I touched her back legs, she would sometimes dart off, or try to "run" up the cage walls. (like the scene in Aliens where the guy gets close to the facehugger tank and it totally wigs out :eek: )

I now avoid her rearmost legs, instead I lightly nudge her abdomen if I have to get her to move.

Some days she's skittish and will run and hide if you so much as breathe near her cage, and some days she wont budge -- even while I'm cleaning up the T poo and removing cricket spitballs.

Im not sure if this counts as being asleep, but late at night she will sprawl out legs totally stretched out , flat on the ground, looking more like a starfish than a T. Any disturbance though and she immediately returns to the "Tarantula on guard" stance.

It's like they're always monitoring, but not always bothering to react unless they really have to.

I can touch her with a Q-tip, or a brush, or a fuzzy pipecleaner, and she'll just walk away slowly (watch the back legs though). It's like "Oh it's just him again, Ok I'll move a bit, maybe he'll leave me alone after.

The other extreme is when I drop a cricket in, and it so much as gets *near* one of her legs -Whammo! :eek:

I think she may have learned the difference between what's food and what isn't, though one time -shortly after I first got her-- she did grab a Q-tip from me and slowly put it in her mouth, fang it a few times then when she realized it wasn't a cricket, just dropped it like "what the??? where's the juicy filling? -ptooie! "{D

daniel s.

Arachnopeon
I've been curious to know this too. I don't think they actually sleep like us as to fall in a subconscious state of mind, because they don't have a complex brain like us. Let's for a minute think what if they would've, that would make them extremely vulnerable for their predators and would be an easy meal without putting up a fight.

prey

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
"Do spiders sleep?" is an article in my most recent Farmer's Almanac. Far from being a scientific journal, lol, it boiled down to different people's definition of sleep, and semantics.
I have noticed all four of my H. lividum, in particular, being much more slow on the draw to react to stimuli at certain times than other times. Don't get me wrong, they'll wake up in a hurry once they do, but sometimes it's like they're in a much deeper state than others, even kept in very consistent conditions.