T's Predator's and Scavanger's?

Shadrach

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
OK I've been reading through some post and noticed someone talking about freezing cricket's and thawing them out and feeding them to sling's. Also the talk of beef heart was mentioned. OK would it be safe to say that T's are predators and scavanger's? If they will readily take dead prey that makes them opportunistic. Is it just slings that will take prekilled food items? Or will adult's also? According to the book Tarantulas and other Arachnids by Marshall some T's are able to identify dead food when they come acoss it. So what is everyone's personal observations?

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think that would be a safe statement to make. They are obviously opportunistic feeders.

I dont think I would lump burrowers into that group though because they can't scavenge if they aren't out of the burrow.

DiStUrBeD-OnE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've been reading this book ive gotten, and its saying that most tarantulas will "Eat anything that is edible, if they come across it" Ive heard the things about freezing crics to, so it seems like their minds set on "Oh hey, theirs some food, lets eat it".

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
a safe statement indeed; as they seem to accept anything edible.. I'm feeding mine lamb chops for cryin out loud :p

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I just thought of this:

Are there problems feeding spiders raw meat like beef or pork?

I know each are know to harbor parasites that can harm people if eaten raw or undercooked.

Jon

DiStUrBeD-OnE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Good question... since if T's eat wild crics, some will be carrying a germ or sumthin, youd think raw meat would harm a T if it had a germ or disease on it... Wish i knew the answer:?

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
A lot of people feed them squares of beef heart without problem, so yeah, I'm sure you can feed them pork and other pieces of beef.

I still vote Cricket LEGS as being the very best and easiest sling food out there. No hassle of killing them or having the live cricket possibly damage the sling if it's too big (Or dealing with pinheads)

And the bright side is: You always have twice as many legs as you do crickets, and you don't have to worry about keeping them fresh, the cricket does it for you! :eek: