T's in dorm?

By-Tor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So I'm going to LSU next fall and the dorm policies say no pets are allowed in the residence halls. Now, tarantula's albeit great animals to keep around aren't exactly pets are they? Because my mom will give me hell if I leave 4 very large spiders with her for a year or two till I can live off campus.
Does anyone else on here have experience with bringing T's with them to college? Is it a "Easier to ask forgiveness than permission?" or a "Don't know don't care" sorta thing?

mikeymo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
rules are rules...
i'm sure they're in place for a reason. No matter how careful you might be with your Ts things can happen beyond your control

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Try to get ahold of other students currently living in the dorms, or, what I did was leave the Ts at home, and once I got to my dorm discovered that nobody really cares as long as it doesnt smell/doesnt attract the attention of someone who would feel the need to tattle on you. The RAs drink and party just as much as everyone else and don't check up on anyone. I've got it pretty lucky here. But I know some universities and some dorms can be quite strict, and you'd be better off to leave them at home or find a friend who can take care of them for you during the school year. I don't know if they have any entomology classes there but if they do, there might be a lab where you could leave them, or a professor who wouldn't mind watching them.

So I say leave them at home until you feel the place out, and if you do sneak them in, keep quiet about them and don't let any squeamish girls in your room! (girls just loooove to scream, no clue why, I think it's stupid).

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree with the above post about girls screaming over things, especially tarantulas and bugs. doesn't fix the problem (is it really a problem to start off with?)

But man, my advice is this;

If you can keep 'em on the down low, you probably can keep your Ts there. Or just call it your roommate. XD

I also read the link thinger to the other thread about the P.murinus in the air ducting. Saying some people MIGHT be allergic to something and then not allowing it is lame. People are allergic to peanut butter; doesn't mean we've stopped producing it. Seriously.

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't mean to be against the grain or anything but I practically kept a zoo in my small dorm room when I was in college. My room mate and I had a snake each and I had a couple of tarantulas in our room for almost an entire year. No pets were allowed but we never were caught. We just never answered the door when an RA was around... :rolleyes: Once we thought we were busted because one of the RA's just knocked and knocked but he eventually left too... Of course I didn't have anything considered fast or defensive really and I never rehoused them. I handled the snakes and I even handled an A. avic in the room once (probably wouldn't advise that and I know they are somewhat fast) that would jump on occasion from short distances... Point is that it's you that has to make the decisions but it is also you that might have to suffer the consequences along with the animals should they be discovered. I was prepared to move them if they were found.

Last edited:

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I forgot to mention that there usually is a rule that forbids alcohol in the dorm rooms as well.. I don't know about LSU but I gather that rule is probably taken a bit loosely as well...I mean we didn't have any of that in our room either.... ;)

mikeymo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I forgot to mention that there usually is a rule that forbids alcohol in the dorm rooms as well.. I don't know about LSU but I gather that rule is probably taken a bit loosely as well...I mean we didn't have any of that in our room either.... ;)

i don't recall ever hearing a story about a bottle of booze getting loose, roaming free, and potentially causing a lot of stress to itself and others (well, maybe i have heard stories about booze causing stress but that's another tale for another time :p). Just because we love these things doesn't mean everyone else does. But i agree with hamburglar that you need to be perpared to face the consequences of your actions. They can't force you to not keep a pet. But they can kick you out of the dorm for breaking a rule if they choose to. You sign the contract when living on campus so it's a chance you're taking. Take it if you think it's worth it.

Last edited:

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Actually, I think booze can cause a lot of stress to others. Especially in the hands of college students. Most of the disturbances I remember in my hall had alcohol involved in one way or another.

By-Tor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i personally wouldn't mind having to part with them for a year or two and just wait till then to get them back, but my mum really would probably throw them outside she already has two of my snakes that she doesn't want to deal with....and I don't feel to go about getting rid of them altogether.

Does anyone have some gravid Aphonopelma hentzi? They're native to this area. Just got to get them situated on campus and reproducing then It'll be like a big vivarium with college students and all.

Seeing that It's a big party school, and last time i ent to visit i stayed in the dorm and somehow the fire alarm went off at 3 in the morning....I just have this hint that 3 slings and lazy old rosie will go unnoticed

mikeymo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
right you are... sorry... :)
ah, not a problem. In all fairness, you probably started your reply before i did some editing to my post. You probably didn't even see the addition until after you responded.

In any event, welcome to the boards!

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thanks for the welcome.... on the other note, Those T's can easily be put in a drawer that is slid open during the day so they can get some light. Like it has been said, you can probably keep them without a problem. The decision is whether harm might come to them, and what would happen to you if they are found. LSU is a good school so just make sure you aren't going to gamble with anything that would make it difficult for you to go to school there... like being forced to live off campus.

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is the greatest wisdom you can share when dealing with dorms.
Of course, then you have to deal with landlords, but that's a different thread.
I live off campus and rent! =D My dad is my landlord. What can I say I lucked out... or is it a curse? HAHA

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
even when paying rent and electricity, it's worth it.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Don't forget that Maintenance has access whenever they want to do safety inspections/battery changes to smoke detectors/change air filters, etc. There is also building-wide pest control to consider.