T's in dorm?

By-Tor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes i was concerned about the pest management...Which technically makes these pest and no longer pets, but the school says that they do it quarterly.. I'm not entirely sure what they use so I'm curious as to if I kept them somewhat concealed would they be safe from whatever they spray in the corners and what not or would it be better to beg my mom and try to stay on the safe side?

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had a couple of co workers keep pets on the sly when they were at college.

One kept some small rat snakes. He had been lucky.. the beds they had were the type that could be converted to bunk beds if needed so they had odd posts sticking up on them, but in his case they were not set up to be bunk beds. He decided to turn his bed frame upside down so that the longer posts were now on the floor instead of sticking up and viola... more storage space underneath the mattress instead of above. just enough room to slide a small custom cage under his bed. The cage was 3 feet long and 1 foot high and front opening to make it easy to get into. During the day he had the bed spread lifted up so that the snake would get light.. but when the RAs were out roaming he could cover it up fast. He had another small cage set up on his desk...18x12 I think. It was also a front opening custom cage, so he had a drape made to drop down if needed. The top portion of the cage was used as a 'book shelf' to act as camoflage.

Another co worker found out that at his school RAs were NOT allowed to inspect student's closets.. so he kept his pet rat cage in the closet! Again, during the day the closet doors would be left open to allow for light and ventilation, but if the RA came snooping around, he could close the door to it.

There was another coworker who went to a school where he kept pet rats, but then he was the RA for the dorm so he could get away with having his rats left out in the open of his dorm room LOL.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ok one thing about dorms is that they spray for pests regularly...do you really want to risk the T?

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Do you know a doctor who would write you a note claiming severe respiratory allergies to pesticides? ;)

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Huh, well, I don't think they spray for pesticides in my dorm, girls complain about roaches in the fourth floor kitchen all the time, haha.

And hurrah for Quebec and the drinking age being at 18!!! We have NO problems with drinking in the dorms, except for the farm program kids (its their duty to be plastered at least 3/4 of the day, we just make fun of them). When it's normal and you "feel" grown up about it, you tend to act that way, or maybe im just lucky and we dont get retarded party jerks here at the Mac campus of McGill :rolleyes: No idea what goes on downtown though, haha, thats a whoooole different story I'm sure.

But... yeah with the pesticides... doesn't sound good. Maybe find out the days they will spray and bring the Ts home for a while. Depends how far you'll be from home I guess, too.

By-Tor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Like I said earlier LSU sprays quarterly meaning i would have ti happen 3 times in the year...and if i knew in adavance i could take them home for a weekend or two during that time..

hmm McGill, my friend michael and me looked there, but alas he is going to University of Chicago and I'm off to a natural disaster waiting to happen

elyanalyous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep my T's in dorm with me. just keep them on the down low, because if they are found out, you may loose them. If your are allowed fishtanks in the dorm, you may be able to get away with fergivness. make damn sure they can't escape tho!

Spyder 1.0

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I plan on smuggling in my Avic. Avic aswell as my singapore blue sling (1 incher)

my question is how you feed them, where do you keep the crickets!?

By-Tor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was planning on dogn what I do now, just run to a local petstore once a week or so, If i need to I can rip some (whatever crickets have on their backs) off or maybe just go with superworms...

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you just buy a few crickets they should have some mixed in with the large that aren't chirpers yet. You should be able to ask for them. I have before at a chain pet store when I have only bought a few for my spiders.

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In some cases tarantulas will take raw peas as food... I heard that today and tried it, and Lydia accepted it. Vegetarian tarantulas. HAHAHA. ;P

By-Tor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm too much of a carnivore to force peas on my little friends. I don't even eat peas! Although I did eat a mealworm once while I was at the audubon zoo in new orleans, this is of course after they told me meal worms turn into crickets....oh boy

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I dunno what you ate. But, meal worms turn into 'Tenibrio Molitor' A type of beetle. Crickets do not have a larvae or pupa stage. Of course, I might be wrong, and misusing my terms. =X