T's exaping...

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok well here is the question, i have some new cage setups (cubes) and i was wondering if my air holes i made are two large? I drilled them and they look great, but the spiders are still quite small(like 1 inch) so i was wondering what the general rules for not being able to escape is? Can they get out of a hole that is smaller then there abdomen? How about if its about the same size? I dont want them getting out for sure, since two are pokies!
I need to know asap!
Thanks all,
~Samuel

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You can just tape some stocking over the holes till they are a bit bigger. It's better then thinking you are ok and putting them in and waking up with someone awall. :D
I have setup cubes before and was not sure and I just slipped the whole cube in some stockings.

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well i have plenty of them, so i'll just make some smaller holes in new lids and use the bigger hol'ed ones for when they grow, just wanted to know if someone had a general idea of good sizes so i dont keep making new lids. The next ones i do will be plenty small!
I dont want a pokie sleeping with me, since they are at the foot of my bed.

~Samuel

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well at 1" Pokies can and will get out of some tiny tiny places. So better safe then sorry. I had a singapore blue leave on a two week tour of my house, and she got out from a really small air hole.

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I made the new holes 1/8th inch, sound good? The smallest of the T's is about 1" the rest are arond 1.5 with the pokie's being on the large end pushing 1.5 almost 2"

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ya that sounds like it should be just fine! Congrats on the new little guys!

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's better then thinking you are ok and putting them in and waking up with someone awall. :D
I swear I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but being a vet of the US army I need to throw in a little correction there.... It caught my eye.

AWOL- Absent With Out Leave.

Bobert

Arachnopeon
As a general rule of thumb I'd say as long as the holes are no larger than the T's cephalothorax (carapace) you'll be fine.

Unless you've got a double jointed T. And that's a lot of joints...

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I swear I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but being a vet of the US army I need to throw in a little correction there.... It caught my eye.

AWOL- Absent With Out Leave.
ROTFLOL

it caught mine too but ...
I get enough slammed about my typing and spelling and grammar skills lol
I am much more eloquent when i actually taek time to spell check or at least re read what i type. but i dont figgure that this is any form of work that will be pier reviewed for publishing anyway

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I agree with Bobert. Their carapace isn't very flexible so if the holes are smaller than that I would think you would be safe

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ok well here is the question, i have some new cage setups (cubes) and i was wondering if my air holes i made are two large? I drilled them and they look great, but the spiders are still quite small(like 1 inch) so i was wondering what the general rules for not being able to escape is? Can they get out of a hole that is smaller then there abdomen? How about if its about the same size? I dont want them getting out for sure, since two are pokies!
I need to know asap!
Thanks all,
~Samuel
i use a small-mid size gauge hot nail to melt holes in my sling and juvie enclosures. havent' had problems at all. for my larger T's, i can just keep them in a KK or something like that with enough ventilation. if i ever use a rubbermaid container, i can always just use a mid-larger gauge hot nail to melt holes.

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I used a soldering iron with a small nail in place of the head, but the holes were not clean, so i went back to drilling. If you let the bit do all the work it does not crack...
~Samuel