T's eating Molts?

DrJonnyD

Arachnosquire
I read somewhere that the T will eat it own molt if it is left in teh enclosure. Is there any truth to this or is it totally bogus information?

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have heard it, I think its true. But they won't always. I have left my B. albopilosums molt in ther (until I rehouse) and its been there for a few weeks and it hasn't eaten it. But I just don't understand, how would they eat it if their fangs are so soft and delicate?

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Pretty much all of mine, will "chew" up their molts to some degree. Some are worse then others.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yea this happens frequently. I dont think they eat it though, they just suck the moisture out (I believe).

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
well, they can't really eat the molt. it is mostly made out of chitin and other stuff which they can't digest. that is why you get a bolus when a spider eats another bug

but they do occasionally pick up their molt and mouth it. the best hobby theory i have seen for that is they are drinking the little bits of moisture left in the skin.

i recently had a local ~3"DLS t molt and saw it with the skin in its mouth roughly 24 after it finished molting. it was fairly amusing cuz i had always looked askance upon the ppl who said their t was eating the molt. i recovered the molt roughly 60 hours or so after the t finshed shedding and had the molt in it's mouth for hours that i saw... and when i spread the skin i could notice little to no missing material.

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
From what iv'e heard , they dont eat it . Ive heard they do it for some purposes like moisture or some time of minerals ? I dont know . But I do know that they arent eating it because theres no meat in there .,

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Actually it is true in some way. They suck the fluid out of the molt. My B. smithi for example leave it alone while my A. versicolor "eats it" very fast.

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Actually it is true in some way. They suck the fluid out of the molt. My B. smithi for example leave it alone while my A. versicolor "eats it" very fast.
But the molt doesnt disappear , it only gets scrapped up .