T's cure arachnophobia?

Seekeroftruth

Arachnopeon
People claim that owning T's has cured their arachnophobia. This makes no sense to me since tarantulas are so different than most spiders. Especially the mature T's seem more animal like rather than insect like appearance wise. Maybe owning spiderlings could help a little since they are still so small?

I would never go outside and pick up a wild spider even if i knew it was harmless, even though I'm not scared of my T's. There are exceptions of course... Some jumping spiders are super cute.

Im scared of a lot of insects, especially the gross looking and creepy looking ones. Even more so if they fly or jump high. Keeping feeder insects has not helped this fact, although I stick to the ones im more comfortable with to begin with. I would never use grasshoppers or locust for instance. I use red runners and mealworms mostly as feeders btw.

The only bugs I like besides T's are rollie pollies, earth worms, some jumping spiders, lady bugs, some caterpillars, some moths, some butterflies, and similar stuff. Cellar spiders have never bothered me and I've never killed them if they are in my house.

I was just curious though, has owning T's really helped other people be more comfortable around other types of spiders or bugs? This seems so strange to me and I don't see how it works.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
Yes. I had severe arachnophobia and it spread to be terrified of pretty much everything leggy, including leggy things with wings 😂 such as crane fly's.

I can deal with house spiders now, no problem. The other night I caught a crane fly in my hands and released it outside.

It took a lot of time to get to this point but I have tarantulas to thank for it. When I got fascinated and fell in love with them, it started translating to other arachnids and insects too. @DomGom TheFather sums it up. It's exposure therapy. Spend enough time looking at these animals, eventually you will stop seeing them as a threat. Maybe capture a small true spider and care for it.

I can remember a time when seeing feeder insects in a store would fill me with fear and revulsion. Now I'm lifting all the boxes looking for the best, most healthiest size specimens without a care in the world.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
It’s possible. Ain’t gonna lie though, true spiders still have a strong probability of meeting the end of the vacuum hose extension...the long one, not the little short extension for the nooks and crannies of the sofa.

But seriously, I‘m less freaked out around true spiders after keeping T’s since this year, but still not going near one if I can avoid it. I will say that my catch cup game has improved. Some of those little devils may live to see another day if they cross my path...maybe.

Irminia

Arachnopeon
For the most part I feel like my fear of spiders was learned. I wouldn't say I was an arachnophobe as my fear wasn't 'extreme or irrational' I didn't flee from a room but somebody else definitely had to deal with the spider in question.

What really separated things was I never really considered spiders as pets. I mean the concept was there but it wasn't an intentional 'adult pet.' Once a friend got a few slings I was fascinated. I saw them in the enclosures and seeing them being calm and most importantly contained took the edge off. They were surprisingly cute. I did some research, saw facinating behaviours, and decided my fear was completely useless.

Got my first T after my friend had his for several months.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
People claim that owning T's has cured their arachnophobia. This makes no sense to me since tarantulas are so different than most spiders. Especially the mature T's seem more animal like rather than insect like appearance wise. Maybe owning spiderlings could help a little since they are still so small?

I would never go outside and pick up a wild spider even if i knew it was harmless, even though I'm not scared of my T's. There are exceptions of course... Some jumping spiders are super cute.

Im scared of a lot of insects, especially the gross looking and creepy looking ones. Even more so if they fly or jump high. Keeping feeder insects has not helped this fact, although I stick to the ones im more comfortable with to begin with. I would never use grasshoppers or locust for instance. I use red runners and mealworms mostly as feeders btw.

The only bugs I like besides T's are rollie pollies, earth worms, some jumping spiders, lady bugs, some caterpillars, some moths, some butterflies, and similar stuff. Cellar spiders have never bothered me and I've never killed them if they are in my house.

I was just curious though, has owning T's really helped other people be more comfortable around other types of spiders or bugs? This seems so strange to me and I don't see how it works.
Arachnophobia would be fear of arachnids.

Why is this strange- Ts are arachnids

Some people have fear of Ts but not scorpions etc, that is not arachnophobia in my opinion. But perhaps a mental health pro. would differ.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Arachnophobia would be fear of arachnids.

Why is this strange- Ts are arachnids

Some people have fear of Ts but not scorpions etc, that is not arachnophobia in my opinion. But perhaps a mental health pro. would differ.
Furthermore (I hate being this guy) but OP said tarantulas look more “animal like” than insect-like, but insects are animals ;) so I guess tarantulas look more “mammal like”

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
especially the gross looking and creepy looking ones.
What would these be? I don’t know of anything fitting that description ;)

but on the topic idk my sister is a true blue serious arachnophobe. She can’t even look at a picture of one without having massive anxiety and fear, she once got out of my truck cause there was a spider in there and she walked home instead. Although exposure to large huntsman’s in Thailand that would frequent her house while she was living there, didn’t work to lessen it. She’s just got hyperexcitability in her amgydala, with some other lack of neural activity, in my opinion. I’ve tried to change her view but I think it’ll never change, think her brain is just wired different.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
What would these be? I don’t know of anything fitting that description ;)

but on the topic idk my sister is a true blue serious arachnophobe. She can’t even look at a picture of one without having massive anxiety and fear, she once got out of my truck cause there was a spider in there and she walked home instead. Although exposure to large huntsman’s in Thailand that would frequent her house while she was living there, didn’t work to lessen it. She’s just got hyperexcitability in her amgydala, with some other lack of neural activity, in my opinion. I’ve tried to change her view but I think it’ll never change, think her brain is just wired different.
This may have something to do with wanting to change. If you don't want to overcome your fear you can't oftentimes. I think that may be one of the reasons keeping arachnids as pets helps lessen the fear for many arachnophobes because they don't want to be afraid, as opposed to people who avoid them at all costs and don't want to get rid of their fear.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

basin79

ArachnoGod
Nope. Tarantulas don't cure arachnophobia. The human does that by overcoming their fear.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Furthermore (I hate being this guy) but OP said tarantulas look more “animal like” than insect-like, but insects are animals ;) so I guess tarantulas look more “mammal like”
You lost me.

I wrote what I did because of this part, be it true spider or T still an arachnid.

This makes no sense to me since tarantulas are so different than most spiders

Seekeroftruth

Arachnopeon
1600166238211.png

I have a severe fear of these specifically. I don't know why and I've never met anyone else who is. (Picture above)

1600166436816.png

I have some of these in my house now (common cellar spider) and im perfectly fine with their presence. They look so similar so I cant think of where this fear comes from or why. How can I be terrified of one and not the other?

I won't use an outhouse and im weary of park bathrooms because of this. Luckily since ive moved to another state, there's not as many of them. Missouri has a lot.

I wish T's could help me with this but not going to happen.

First image was very difficult for me to even look at. Its that bad.

Im so scared of them that I doubt i would be able to go camping ever again. I've been trapped in a tent due to them.

Last edited:

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Oh, opiliones. Ironically I'm trying to find more interesting species to acquire...
You could try keeping some Vonones ornata for exposure therapy. They are fluorescent under a black light and relatively low maintenance.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Seekeroftruth

Arachnopeon
Oh, opiliones. Ironically I'm trying to find more interesting species to acquire...
You could try keeping some Vonones ornata for exposure therapy. They are fluorescent under a black light and relatively low maintenance.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Maybe that could help. They look very similar, especially the little ones. I hear they bite although i have seen people hold them. I don't know if I would have to hold them to get maximum benefit or not. I'll do more research on that. It is kinda sweet how they live together and share food. Maybe seeing them do things like that would help me deal with the daddy long legs which i think are also communal.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Large specimens can bite, though they usually won't try to and small specimens often can't break the skin.
I don't see why you'd have to hold them, just being comfortable around them would be a huge break through for you it sounds like.

These ones are communal so long as you keep up on feeding.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Danzog

Arachnosquire
I had a fear of spiders and T's until I aquired one and educated myself. Now I find all arachnids interesting, cept for ticks.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I had a fear of spiders and T's until I aquired one and educated myself. Now I find all arachnids interesting, cept for ticks.
Ticks are fascinating when they aren't sucking your blood or near enough to try.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
my wife was phobic until the point where she asked for a Geniculata for her birthday