Ts coming out of their hides at night

Lindt J

Arachnopeon
ok so I made a 3-day observation with my tarantulas and during at night, when I turn off the lights and turn on my phone's flash light and check their enclosures, they're literally outside of their hides, or if not, fixing their burrows and stuff.

Does this mean that when they go out at night, they search for food? Should I offer them some? Even if I fed them already early in the morning?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Theraphosidae are nocturnal, so it is completely natural for them to be out and about at night. You don't have to feed them every time they're out, but depending on size of the abdomen. If they're plump, they're well fed :)

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
ok so I made a 3-day observation with my tarantulas and during at night, when I turn off the lights and turn on my phone's flash light and check their enclosures, they're literally outside of their hides, or if not, fixing their burrows and stuff.

Does this mean that when they go out at night, they search for food? Should I offer them some? Even if I fed them already early in the morning?
They're nocturnal by nature, best feeding responses are late PM feedings. ;)

awiec

Arachnoprince
They're nocturnal by nature, best feeding responses are late PM feedings. ;)
This is when all of my animals are fed, conversly I do maintenance and rehousing in the day, make their natural cycle work for you.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I get strong feeding responses any time of the day.
It's normal for nocturnal creatures to be more active at night. ;)

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Get a light source that is red. You will be able to observe them more closely without disturbing them.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I find that mine are most active right before sunrise, around 3AM-5AM. On the occasions that I get up that early, the majority of my spiders are plastered to the side of their enclosures.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Theraphosidae are nocturnal, so it is completely natural for them to be out and about at night. You don't have to feed them every time they're out, but depending on size of the abdomen. If they're plump, they're well fed :)
Ah ah, you said Theraphosidae and not Tarantulas :kiss:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Reading this (pretty Captain Obvious) thread title reminded me of the "insert coin" screen of an old arcade videogame of waaaaay back then (less older than me but basically more older than the vast majority of users here).

"Push the button to retract the tongue. Eat the queen to destroy all the ants. When the sun goes down the spider comes out. Sneak up behind the worm."

Also IMO is a nice line for a potential (demented) serial killer to say just the moment before snuffing the victim, like Jules from 'Pulp Fiction' :-s