Ts at the Pet Store--argh!

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
today i went to a pet store (one of the better ones i've ever seen) to buy crickets. i decided that i'd go check out the T selection, as they sometimes get them in at this place. this is what i found: 2 "rose hairs" selling for $30 a piece and a "stripe knee" selling for $35.

ok this may be a totally ignorant question, but what is the latin name for a "stripe knee"? it seems like they are just sticking a title on it because they dont know what it really is... or maybe i just have never heard of a "stripe knee." but that's all the label said. wouldnt it make sense to put the latin name because there are so many different common names for tarantulas.

one time i saw a small rose hair being sold for $35 but it was being sold as a "wooley tarantula." just for kicks, what is the most ridiculous pricing/labelling you've ever seen at a pet store?

kellygirl

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Oooh... lots of repeat threads about this. Anyway scientific name should be Aphonopelma seemani but i could be mistaken.

-V

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
the "stripeknees" that my petstore sells are Costa Rican Zebras (A.Seemani). I doubt it would be anything else because pet stores usually have SOME sence for good starter species, which the a.seemani is being hardy and easy to care for. I live in canada, but they have a 1.5 inch one for $75 and kept it really poorly, i wanted to save it but not for $75!

Mark

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Kelly, the pet store where I live is selling a Rose Hair as a Zebra stripe knee for 65, and some poor sap has her on hold, and will prolly be very mad to discover (if he does) that that tee is actually a ROSE HAIR !!! And the pet store lady had the nerve to put a rose hair and the alleged zebra striped knee next to eachother and try to convince me that they were DIFFERENT !!

EEAAAAAUUUUUGGGGHH !!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ooh, sorry! i didnt realize i was repeating. :( my bad....

p.s. vayu! your signature, what is that from? jack handy? jack handy rules!

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by soopa1
what store kelly? i live in greensboro too.
petland--the one in friendly center.

how'd you know i live in the boro?

kellygirl

soopa1

Arachnopeon
yeah i saw those over priced things too...as far as u livin in gso,i thought i saw it on your profile..if not,it was a lucky guess!

chaset

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Petland is franchised

Before you go blaming every Pet Land, remember that the individual stores are all franchises and unfortunetly some Pet Lands like the one at Sunridge in Calgary Alberta are awesome, and others are not. Like the one in Shawnessy at Calgary Alberta, that refused to sell me a rose hair because i needed Land Lord or parental approval, even though im 21 etc.

Unfortunetly they have no policys standards regarding spiders.

Send in comments on Pet Lands website and hopefully they will improve. the store at Sunridge in Calgary, has an entire displayer devoted to rarer old world speices and they have decent prices and are actually cared for.

Al Muoio

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I bought one a month ago. They called it a Stripped Knee. A. seemani. It was about 2 1/2 inches and paid 12 dollars. Put it in the cage and it burrowed. Thats the last I saw of it. Every few days I hold up the cage and look into the bottom to make sure it is still alive. I wonder what the top half looks like???

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
fellow calgarian

Hey chaset, i too am in calgary alberta and go to the shawnessey petland! They are the worst for keeping tarantulas and their staff is condesending and cheeky. Is that what you find too?

Mark

chaset

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Indeed

I gave them hell once for not using a water dish in any of there T setups, there is some new women that works there now. that takes care of them better, Or last time i was there anyways, staff changes so often at that store. I tried to buy one back then but they still refused to sell to me because i felt it was unnessary to get Parental Approval. But yeah they are pretty cheeky and arrogant.

Nice to see someone else from Calgary :D
my email is psichase@telusplanet.net we should keep in touch

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Over here I have seen (in Petco) Rosehairs for $14 and Zebras for $33. But even worse than that, I have seen Rosehairs at this reptile shop (which I don't care for the way they house their Ts to begin with) for $25. I have bought healthier looking rosehairs for a sixth of that price! Also one time at the reptile shop, I saw an injured b. smithi, which was limping around and dragging some feet (it appeared dead when I first saw it and that's why I asked them to take it out). They wanted $125 for this poor T, which I suspect was that way due to such a tight space to be molting in, but for that much money I couldn't help the spider :mad: and I couldn't get them to bring the price down. By now the T is out of the store. I just hope someone rescued it. :(

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

i have seen rosie hairs go for 10 bucks with a medium kritter keeper included pretty good deal to me, but at the same place i saw an adult pinktoe labeld as a rosie sitting by the others for sale at the same price, this was all the t's the store would get, maybe an occasional zebra, but this place also had some crazy ass prices on reps like 2 foot savanah monitor 300 dollars, ball python regular pattern 150, redtail boa 250, mind you the snakes were hatchlings, the list goes on and on, and if you asked them a question they would get all snotty with you like your not allowed to ask specific questions or something, what gets me is how do places like this expect to be a good buisness and keep customers if they have a holier than thou attitude, also this place had a little monoply going as they were the oly petshop within 80 miles, but, lol, they closed down, now there reopened with a new building but same crappy prices as far as reps go....---Jeff

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
For the most part pet shops suck.

Reptile stores seem to know more and sell pinkys and pinheads.IMO :)

E

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hi

i went to a pet store to get some crickets and turtle food, and i went to check out the t section and they had the following ts

2 G.rosea-$13.00
1 A.avic-$20.00
and they had an C.thorelli for $150, and labeled it as a b.smithi!!!ahahhahahahah;P :8o WHAT LOSERS, so i went and talked to the manager and told them that they labeled the T wrong, me and him just kept on arguing and arguing and i hate that store, i feel sorry for anyone who buys that C.thoreli because it wont be docile, cause its labeled as a smithi, my dad is going to talk with the manager again today!! i hate petstores!!!!!:eek: :mad: :}

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lol

They have to be the most ignorant ppl out there. Cant they tell that it has no red knees?