Ts as feeders for other Ts

LV-426

Arachnobaron
:razz::embarrassed:I read in the Tarantula Keepers Guide that some individuals us as feeders "less desirable" species such as P cancerides. What is the concencess on this subjuct? I own a P cancerides and I think is awsome T:evil:;P :barf::mad:

MetalheadRAM

Arachnopeon
Feeding Ts to Ts

First of all, with all of the alternatives, why would you put your tarantula in danger by feeding it something that has the potential to kill/hurt it? Secondly, even less desirable Ts are exponentially more expensive than crickets/superworms, and I dont really see any health benefits that a Tarantula could give that couldnt also be received from a few well fed crickets. In my opinion, its not a great idea.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can you provide what it says? The exact paragraph? Somehow I don't believe this. It makes no sense to use them as feeders in the first place.

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That seems like a severe waste of money not to mention a major risk to a tarantula.

I own the tarantula keeper's guide and I don['t remember this part, although I've read it over several times, but I'll check again.:?

Could you quote the paragraph?

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with P. Cancerides. I don't know why anyone would want to use them as feeders or think they're undersirable. I think they're lovely. (However if it's furry-ish with eight legs I think it's lovely. *shrugs*)

LV-426

Arachnobaron
That seems like a severe waste of money not to mention a major risk to a tarantula.

I own the tarantula keeper's guide and I don['t remember this part, although I've read it over several times, but I'll check again.:?

Could you quote the paragraph?

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with P. Cancerides. I don't know why anyone would want to use them as feeders or think they're undersirable. I think they're lovely. (However if it's furry-ish with eight legs I think it's lovely. *shrugs*)
I would but it would take forever for me to type, i cant type wortha can of beans

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would but it would take forever for me to type, i cant type wortha can of beans
perhaps then you can just tell me where in the book you found it, I have it in my lap as we speak and I can't find the paragraph in question.

(I might just be inadvertantly skipping it though)

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
pg 174 "cannibalism in the family"
Sorry totally missed this before I commented.
:wall:

Found the paragraph but it seems to merely be presenting an option rather than encouraging it.

Either way though, I still see no reason to feed Ts to other Ts

LV-426

Arachnobaron
Sorry totally missed this before I commented.
:wall:

Found the paragraph but it seems to merely be presenting an option rather than encouraging it.

Either way though, I still see no reason to feed Ts to other Ts
the says one person does it, there may be others

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the says one person does it, there may be others
I can't think why anyone would though on purpose.

And the if authors knew of only one person doing it maybe it's a fluke. I certainly doubt its a common act. I mean,

WHY?

It would be more expensive, there'd be a danger of injury to your tarantula, and there's no benefit from doing so

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Why would anyone do it though? just seems kind of pointless even if it is to "weave out the weak"
Well, I sort of did this a couple of days ago. I was at my LPS getting a new UV for our chameleons and the resident T guy knowing I've got a MF P.fasciata, mentioned he had a MM of the same species who was a real runt. I had a look and he was right. He was the size of one of my girl's legs! The guy said he couldn't sell him so suggested I take him for free and see if he could do the deed. I knew that it was was a big ask, but I took him anyway. I thought to myself that at the least he'd provide a good meal for her. Well, I was right. Even though I fed her several large locusts beforehand, she still munched him just as I expected.

I've heard of people doing this when they have MMs on they're last legs (even when not the same genus or species). It certainly seems more practical than waiting for them to die and dumping them in the trash IMO.

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Say someone has 200 A. avic slings 3i and 3000 L. p slings and oh no the pet store has no crickets and there is a snowstorm so it will be a while and bam ya got T feeders!

PrimalTaunt

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Only time I've heard of this is when somebody has an LP or another species drop a huge sac and instead of separating out 2000 individual slings and feeding each and every one of them each and every week, they keep them together to let mother nature thin the herd out a bit.

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Only time I've heard of this is when somebody has an LP or another species drop a huge sac and instead of separating out 2000 individual slings and feeding each and every one of them each and every week, they keep them together to let mother nature thin the herd out a bit.
That makes a bit more sense though than just straight on feeding slings to sub adults and such

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That makes a bit more sense though than just straight on feeding slings to sub adults and such
I hope what Im reading in this whole thread is due to the alcohol, althought darn it I havent drink at all....

:confused:

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here is the paragraph:

"The authors know of one enthusiast who occasionally feeds spiderlings of species of tarantulas that are felt to be not worth marketing (e.g. Phormictopus cancerides) to other, larger tarantulas.
'To each his own'"

I note that first off, as people have said, they know of only one person who does this. The line at the end indicates that they would not do such a thing themselves and only mention it to be comprehensive. This person is mentioned as "occasionally" doing this, as opposed to it being a staple diet. Also, that they are spiderlings used to feed larger tarantulas (as opposed to pitting two similarly sized tarantulas against each other.)
I also see that all desirable food types had been spoken of well previous to this, that even the less desirable food types have been gone over as well as at least one "never feed" creature. Thus we are left with this part, where the authors mention a few one-time or rare observations. Right after it is a section about someone who fed their tarantula goldfish, which I believe is about how seriously we should take the above quoted paragraph.

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
I note that first off, as people have said, they know of only one person who does this. The line at the end indicates that they would not do such a thing themselves and only mention it to be comprehensive. This person is mentioned as "occasionally" doing this, as opposed to it being a staple diet. Also, that they are spiderlings used to feed larger tarantulas (as opposed to pitting two similarly sized tarantulas against each other.)
I also see that all desirable food types had been spoken of well previous to this, that even the less desirable food types have been gone over as well as at least one "never feed" creature. Thus we are left with this part, where the authors mention a few one-time or rare observations. Right after it is a section about someone who fed their tarantula goldfish, which I believe is about how seriously we should take the above quoted paragraph.
And there you have it - couldn't have said it better. It's unfortunate, but certainly plausible, so it's in no way surprising that someone would do it. Think I'll stick to roaches and crickets though.