T's and music??

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How complex do you believe tarantulas to be? Do you think they would hide the stress?
I'm pretty sure that wasn't what Chris was insinuating.

Just because there are no 'visible' signs (and even then, this is only what we THINK is a sign of stress) doesn't mean that an animal isn't stressed.

Regarding music and spiders...I can't see any possible benefit to playing music for or around them.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No it hasnt happened to me, but I also said We'll never know.

Dang people I'm not saying I'm the expert and I'm right. I could be completely wrong.

I should've made that clear in my first post.
Thank you for making it more clear. I am not necessarily disagreeing, but it sounded as if you were stating facts, not opinions.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure that wasn't what Chris was insinuating.

Just because there are no 'visible' signs (and even then, this is only what we THINK is a sign of stress) doesn't mean that an animal isn't stressed.

Regarding music and spiders...I can't see any possible benefit to playing music for or around them.
That is what I meant. Thanks for making it more clear.

6StringSamurai

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The spider body language that we understand, coupled with our tarantula's health and longevity and our knowledge of tarantula anatomy, are our only hints that anything we do is acceptable to the tarantulas or not.

How do we know that tarantulas aren't stressed by the way that vermiculite feels on the tips of their feet and aren't stressed by eating the same food like crickets or roaches most of the time without much variety? All we can say is that they don't show any visible signs of stress, and that they appear to thrive in those conditions, and that's what I can say about having tarantulas in my music room.

I play acoustic guitar and sing, so we're not talking about anything bass heavy that would cause a lot of vibration. I doubt my tarantulas are even aware of the sound.

Also, nature is not silent. Animals make noise all the time, and some amount of background noise is going to be part of a tarantula's life in the wild as well.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I agree, there may be some detrimental effects to booming music for your spiders all the time, even if they show no visible signs of distress. Better to be safe than sorry, I think, and keep the music to a minimum. You never know, there's so much we don't know about these guys and nature in general.

Like magnets. How do they work? :D

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
kylestl Quote:

so they are stressed but not to the point that they believe something is right in front of them, so that is ok?
For most if not all T's ONLY throw the threat posture when something IS Physically infront of them/Verry close. The thought of them being able to tell the difference between a real threat and a muscal/outside threat...Weather it be through Different vibrational sounds and the visual aspect of it...Seing as they DO have eyes!

xhexdx Quote:

spiders...I can't see any possible benefit to playing music for or around them.
Hey now...Maybee we can controll their movement by playing Certain frequencies in a mechanical fashion And play with them like we do remote cars?

OP: I wonder, also, if the type of music can make a difference? I mostly listen to slower mellow artists (Coldplay, Arcade Fire, Radiohead, Muse...etc), songs with a gentle rhythmic beat. I would imagine that music with erratic or forceful beats would create more stressful vibrations?
++Great musical choices

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Thinking a T is ONLY stressed if it shows signs is ridiculous.
Ah, I was wrong. You *don't* have ESP. Because I don't think that and you couldn't tell.

On topic (which I haven't read every bit of, I have to admit), I'm not very updated on whether we have found T's to have actual hearing, or if we still only think of them as animals capable of sensing vibrations like waves in a 3D pond, but it doesn't matter. There would be all sorts of sounds in a Ts world. Waterfalls, crashing trees, thunderstorms (daily for many), torrential rainfall, waterfalls, howler monkeys, what have you. And I'm sure none of those do so bad comparing to someone playing a little Michael Jackson on their stereo. In fact, on what ever volume, the latter is actually a lot worse and you should maybe consider to keep your stereo turned off.

Royal_T's

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As stated before, the tarantula isn't responding to the sounds but the vibrations. I think that the bass is similar to standing around a tarantula burrow and stomping your feet. Also it is said that plants grow faster when you talk to them not because they like the sound of your voice but because of the CO2 you exhale while talking

phily1579

Arachnopeon
Dude. everyone is right. ur ts r reacting to the vibrations. stop stressing out ur ts. move them into another room . for god sake. :(