Ts and heat?

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
what tempature do you keep your Ts at? i see alot of people keep theres at room tempature (atleast 70 F) so i was just curious what everyone does. Personally i keep mine at room tempature except for my slings which stay in my heating cabinet, but i have not been keeping Ts long so idk how right that is.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Usually in the 70s. I know some species will grow faster if you do low 80s, but it's not really necessary.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
It fluctuates, I haven't been keeping very long either but it's been down in the 60s on cold nights and 80s on warm days. I don't like to let em get too cold or too hot for too long though.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I just keep mine room temp, probably a little cooler. My family likes it colder, so my house is usually around 68. All of them seem to do fine, I don't worry about heat at all :D

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I used to use heat mats 10 years ago, now I don't bother after reading and getting invaluable advice, as long as your comfortable in a T-shirt then there's no problem. My room sits at just over 70 degrees daytime, and just under night time, some days are warmer, your temps are fine, no need to worry.;)

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
thats good to know. i was a bit worried because im so picky about the tempature i keep my scorpions at. 70 degrees it is!

MGery92

Arachnosquire
My room is now 80 degrees, throughout the colder months it was between 72-75 degrees. The spiders are fine at these temperatures.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Room temp. As stated, T-shirt temps are about ideal for most Ts. I've never had to worry about temps.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
There was a freak accident the other day where my closet reached very high 80s and my Acanthoscurria geniculata sling molted almost immediately. I keep them in the high 70s/very low 80s most of the time, but bumping it every now and then is something im going to test after seeing that happen.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
There was a freak accident the other day where my closet reached very high 80s and my Acanthoscurria geniculata sling molted almost immediately. I keep them in the high 70s/very low 80s most of the time, but bumping it every now and then is something im going to test after seeing that happen.
So you think the temps had a direct influence on the A. geniculata sling molting so quickly, I take it you weren't expecting the sling to molt so soon, I'll have to see if this has a direct affect on any of my slings.....interesting @JoshDM020

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I generally try to keep mine 70-75 max although in the summer months that does slightly rise a little.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Is there a standard "Room Temperature" that I'm unaware of? If not then just saying room temperature doesn't tell much. My parents used to keep their room 65 degrees year around which would have been really cold for most Ts.

I keep my T room between 75-83 year around with the average at 79.

So you think the temps had a direct influence on the A. geniculata sling molting so quickly, I take it you weren't expecting the sling to molt so soon, I'll have to see if this has a direct affect on any of my slings.....interesting @JoshDM020
They do from what I've seen. I've noted a lot of my Ts molt faster the higher the temps are. Though they can live in a 70 degree room a lot of the Ts I keep come from areas that are much hotter. Keeping in mind that there is less temp regulation in small glass or plastic boxes so they can get hot pretty easily.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Is there a standard "Room Temperature" that I'm unaware of? If not then just saying room temperature doesn't tell much. My parents used to keep their room 65 degrees year around which would have been really cold for most Ts.

I keep my T room between 75-83 year around with the average at 79.

They do from what I've seen. I've noted a lot of my Ts molt faster the higher the temps are. Though they can live in a 70 degree room a lot of the Ts I keep come from areas that are much hotter. Keeping in mind that there is less temp regulation in small glass or plastic boxes so they can get hot pretty easily.
In the UK, we're having quite warm weather ATM, 78 - 80 Fahrenheit, so should I expect to see more mots? Especially my slings as they molt more often as we all know, a couple of my C. minax look like they're entering the molting stage, shiny abdomens, although one of them did take a nymph down today, just have to wait and see if the weather plays a direct role in the speed between molts.

Interesting observation, @JoshDM020, have you had any more unexpected molts or any that are looking as though their approaching a molt?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
In the UK, we're having quite warm weather ATM, 78 - 80 Fahrenheit, so should I expect to see more mots?
When I started and didn't have extra heat for the room I noticed when spring and summer brought the temps up I had a lot more molts than low 70s that my house was set to. I keep my Ts room at 75-83 temp range year around now. The molts seem pretty constant though I have a lot more when I get new tiny slings. Temperature defiantly has an affect on molting times.

I had 9 Ts molt last week. 6 slings, 2 juvies and one MM. I'm expecting a dozen (all slings) to molt before 2 weeks are up. That's not even counting the communal molts as most of the time I don't even get to see them till much later. I did see a big size increase in 3 of my M.balfouri Ts in the communal so they molted sometime in the last month. They are going to need a new enclosure soon.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
In a way invertebrates are similar to reptiles, they are greatly affected by the temperature of their surroundings. I've noticed that somewhat higher temps can have an effect on how active they are.

I like to feed towards the end of the day/early evening when I know the heater was running for a while, often this results in a better feeding response.

It's plausible that elevated temps could induce a faster metabolism. Would make sense seeing as higher temps and more feedings almost always result in faster growth.