Trying to pick the next few Ts...

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Alright, so it's been a while since I've gotten anything new. ("A while" being a relative phrase).

Now that I've been spending lots of time with my little princess A. geniculata, I've rekindled my original love for NW terrestrials (got distracted by cute Avics for a bit there).

I've been combing the forums for all the info I can get on Pamphos. I've gathered that they're:

expensive
a little skittish and flicky
gorgeous
expensive
phenomenal eaters
grow substantially between molts
expensive

and those things all appeal to me, minus the flicky (and the expensive) but I don't mind that quite as much. My LPS has a few, a 4" P. sp. flammifera (female), a 3" P. sp. goliath, a 3" P. ultramarinus (male) and a 4" P. vespertinus, all for $120 a piece except for the ultramarinus who is $75.

I've also been looking at N. incei "gold." Something about them appeals to me and I'm not sure what it is. Possibly that they're not nearly as expensive :p Am I gonna have fun with one of these little guys if I impulse buy one?

From my understanding, males have the intense coloration with Pamphos, but I've seen females with the same coloring in my research. Are there certain spp that the females don't get the coloration, is it on an individual basis, etc? Because as beautiful as the males are, I don't want to spend $120 on a T that I'm only going to have a few years with.

Basically I'm just asking for personal experiences with Pamphos and also N. incei. Again I've read through all the threads on them that I can find and have a grasp of husbandry and attitude but am looking for general keeping opinions :D

Also... LP or L. klugi, and why

cold blood

Staff member
All right, first off, they are not IME, very flicky at all....mine almost never flicks.

Next, ultramuranus is by far the smallest member of the genus, being a 6" spider...that said, they're gorgeous and more expensive...so the fact that your LPS has it at $50 less means that's your best buy hands down...little slings are generally over $100. Females of this species are also well colored, unlike most others...which are still a beautiful black or chocolaty brown.

Still great looking IMO. Husbandry isn't too difficult...much like a genic actually...they prefer damp sub, but letting it dry between moistenings is just fine...just keep a large water dish or two.

Now the incei...just get one....I actually prefer the look of the olives, to me theyre stunning.
Golds for some reason do seem to grow at an even faster rate.. These do require more consistently damp sub...but man, they're also one of the most under-rated ts I have ever had...great tunnel builders, master webbers, super enthusiastic about food...their happy dance is almost frantic...and they eat well and grow quickly...I can't wait to breed them again.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Well the ultramarinus is the male. How long approximately does it take for these guys to mature? At 3" it definitely has some growing to do, but after the MM G. pulchra adventure I think I'd be quite sad raising a guy just to give him away in a year or two. I miss that pulchra and I didn't have him for long at all :( Plus I was a little excited about the size they get and if it's the smallest maybe not my go-to. The flammifera is the most attractive IMO.

And alright, you've convinced me I need the N. incei :D

cold blood

Staff member
Well the ultramarinus is the male. How long approximately does it take for these guys to mature? At 3" it definitely has some growing to do, but after the MM G. pulchra adventure I think I'd be quite sad raising a guy just to give him away in a year or two. I miss that pulchra and I didn't have him for long at all :( Plus I was a little excited about the size they get and if it's the smallest maybe not my go-to. The flammifera is the most attractive IMO.

And alright, you've convinced me I need the N. incei :D
It wouldn't surprise me for that ultra to mature in a year...but again...super-valuable male for sure!

Paiige

Arachnobaron
It wouldn't surprise me for that ultra to mature in a year...but again...super-valuable male for sure!
Ehhh yeah, see I want nothing to do with that. I'm gonna assume if they had a female, they wouldn't be selling the male, they're my preferred shop to interact with and I'll be bringing them MMs in the future when I have them...but I'm not really a super huge people person so I don't want to have to go make real-life friends to find someone to take him off my hands :D Nor do I want my first pack-and-ship to be with an expensive 6" MM :zombie:

cold blood

Staff member
Ehhh yeah, see I want nothing to do with that. I'm gonna assume if they had a female, they wouldn't be selling the male, they're my preferred shop to interact with and I'll be bringing them MMs in the future when I have them...but I'm not really a super huge people person so I don't want to have to go make real-life friends to find someone to take him...
Haha, yeah, I hate people, too

boina

Lady of the mites
I have a few Pamphos - they were the first genus I really fell in love with. I agree with @cold blood that they are not very flicky - although that may vary between species and individuals. I've 1.1 P. insignis I've got from a friend and they are one of the few species where the female will keep some colors. On the other hand both of mine stay hidden most of the time and they are the most flicky of all the pamphos I own, especially the male. I can, however, strongly recommend the vespertinus. The females are going to be brown, admittedly, but at least they are going to have some long red hair on their butt. They are always out, eat everything they get, even roaches nearly their own size, chase after everything that's falling into their enclosure (water drops...) and are generally fearless. Only disadvantage for you is that I think they may stay a bit smaller than the flammifera, but I'm not sure about that. They will definitely stay smaller than the sp. goliath. I also have a very large and completely black AF P. antinous (the largest spider I own), but I only ever see her feet, so I personally prefer the vespertinus.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Definitely love my incei gold and my female pampho Machala. Pampho females aren't brightly colored, but they are very impressive. The velvety black or brown, long spikey hairs on the legs and abdomen, and their massiveness. I definitely have never looked at her and thought "that spider looks boring". Doesn't quite come across in pictures.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
If you can get an N. incei, try and get a sling. They grow very quickly, you can have a MM or a subadult female within a year. And given how inexpensive they are, you could get several. I'd advise against a communal, though...

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I've been combing the forums for all the info I can get on Pamphos.
I don't own any of these yet so I'll defer to other on them. I've looked at them several times in buying prep but I always seem to move to other Ts on the list I've wanted more.

I've also been looking at N. incei "gold." Something about them appeals to me and I'm not sure what it is. Possibly that they're not nearly as expensive :p Am I gonna have fun with one of these little guys if I impulse buy one?
Fun all the way. I really like both the gold and the olives. They have low space requirement and all of mine are easy to work with. You really need both though. Like CB said the golds all grew a lot faster than my olives. :D
The colors on the olives are just wow to me.

Even on the gold you get a nice color pattern. Though personally I like the olives look a little more.

Last edited:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
If you can get an N. incei, try and get a sling. They grow very quickly, you can have a MM or a subadult female within a year. And given how inexpensive they are, you could get several. I'd advise against a communal, though...
They are pretty fast growers. Smaller Ts have been rough for me to sex so far. I have a small microscope but the small molts are a pain to work with. I'm keeping an eye out for legginess that would indicate a male but I'm not sure of the sex of any of mine yet.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
The ones available are about 1"

Fun all the way. I really like both the gold and the olives. They have low space requirement and all of mine are easy to work with. You really need both though. Like CB said the golds all grew a lot faster than my olives. :D
The colors on the olives are just wow to me.

Even on the gold you get a nice color pattern. Though personally I like the olives look a little more.
I do prefer the olives but the gold is what's available...if I like their attitude I'll definitely track down an olive!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
They are pretty fast growers. Smaller Ts have been rough for me to sex so far. I have a small microscope but the small molts are a pain to work with. I'm keeping an eye out for legginess that would indicate a male but I'm not sure of the sex of any of mine yet.
I hear you, it can be rough. It helps a lot to get a fresh molt. Soap and water can only do so much to loosen an exuvia. My tools usually consist of two needle-tip tweezers and a literal needle. Since the abdomen is almost always crumbled, grip one single-layer flap with the tweezers and slowly separate the crumbled bit with the needle. Never, ever actually pull - you'll certainly tear it. Once you've got it a bit unfolded, get the other pair of tweezers and separate the rest of the abdomen. Instead of gripping and pulling apart, close the tweezers and slowly release while inside the crumble to separate. Not a perfect science, but it's pretty uncommon that this doesn't work.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I do prefer the olives but the gold is what's available...if I like their attitude I'll definitely track down an olive!
Ahh ok, if the are local and at a reasonable price I'd defiantly pick one (or 4) up. :)

Paiige

Arachnobaron
I hear you, it can be rough. It helps a lot to get a fresh molt. Soap and water can only do so much to loosen an exuvia. My tools usually consist of two needle-tip tweezers and a literal needle. Since the abdomen is almost always crumbled, grip one single-layer flap with the tweezers and slowly separate the crumbled bit with the needle. Never, ever actually pull - you'll certainly tear it. Once you've got it a bit unfolded, get the other pair of tweezers and separate the rest of the abdomen. Instead of gripping and pulling apart, close the tweezers and slowly release while inside the crumble to separate. Not a perfect science, but it's pretty uncommon that this doesn't work.
This is what I do with my tiny little sling molts too. I have a little ball-tipped tool that I believe is for clay and it works wonders because it's not sharp enough to puncture. This is a generic picture, but I have a few sizes:

http://www.d-anatomystore.com/wp-content/themes/arras-theme/library/timthumb.php?src=http://d-anatomystore.com/images/Profesional metal ball sylus banner.jpg&w=630&h=180&zc=1

It helps for flattening a bit as well if they're very crumpled.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
This is what I do with my tiny little sling molts too. I have a little ball-tipped tool that I believe is for clay and it works wonders because it's not sharp enough to puncture. This is a generic picture, but I have a few sizes:

http://www.d-anatomystore.com/wp-content/themes/arras-theme/library/timthumb.php?src=http://d-anatomystore.com/images/Profesional metal ball sylus banner.jpg&w=630&h=180&zc=1

It helps for flattening a bit as well if they're very crumpled.
I have some rounded picks and other tools for sculpting that I hadn't thought about using. I'll look into it. Thanks.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Got a goliath last month. Fantastic eater so far. Mine cost $80 or so off this site. Well, $40 for the tarantula and $40 for overnight shipping.