Trying to identify a bee species from an illustration

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a drawing of a bee which I did a few years ago. The drawing was made from a photograph in a nature magazine. I'm wondering if it's possible to identify which species of bee it is from the artwork? Unfortunately, I don't have the magazine or the reference photograph anymore.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dragonblade712003/2082782923/

I'm curious because there's a business not far from me that sells honey products. They also have a partly enclosed bee colony which you can observe behind glass. They sell various merchandise too. I thought I would have a go at making some greeting cards featuring this drawing and approaching these guys to see if they'd stock the card on their shelves. Wouldn't hurt to try. I had the idea of including the species name on the back of the card in italics.

Last edited:

Mat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd agree, a honeybee (Apis). Looking at the picture, I suspect the photo was of a "guard bee" telling others that intruders were near, the high abdomen pose, wing fanning and the exposed alarm gland towards the end of the abdomen are typical of this behaviour.

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looking at the picture, I suspect the photo was of a "guard bee" telling others that intruders were near, the high abdomen pose, wing fanning and the exposed alarm gland towards the end of the abdomen are typical of this behaviour.
Wow, that's very insightful. You must be very knowledgable about their body language. The next time I see a bee strike that pose, I'll be extra careful.