Trying to find info on a insect.

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well I saw it in the guiness book of world records. It was a bug that would spray two chemicals from its rear area. The combination of the two could reach 210 F . I just wondered what there name is ? The book didn't give alot of details,and I'd like to read more about them.

Thanx

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You're thinking of the bombardier beetle, just type "bombardier beetle" into a search engine and read away.

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yep Chip got it for ya :)

They showed these guys numerous times before on animal planet, pretty neat bugs!

Jake

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yea they are pretty cool. I had no ideal of the big debate over them. I think theres more info on creation vs. evolution, then on the actual bug.:D

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The talk.origins page pretty much ends the so-called debate on that little bit, though. I like the comment about how can you take seriously criticisms based on the "design" of the bug if you don't even know what it looks like on the inside to begin with.

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't think it's ended. It's still theory, and what side you choose is opinion. Basicly it's do you believe in God, or not. Thats a heated topic no matter what.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by atmosphere
I don't think it's ended. It's still theory, and what side you choose is opinion. Basicly it's do you believe in God, or not. Thats a heated topic no matter what.
That's not what I'm talking about. If you believe in creation, fine, I'm not going into that here, that's a watering hole topic. But, the arguments for creation that creationists say this beetle serves are not up to debate. They're based on a very sloppy translation of an old paper and are complete nonsense.

The short version is hydroquinone and hydrogen peroxide do not explode if mixed and there is no inhibitor chemical like the creationists claim, that is completely made up by them. Hydroquinone is an extremely common signal/repellant throughout the insect kingdom and hydrogen peroxide is ubiquitous to all oxygen breathing life. The *only* thing that needed to occur for the explosive reaction was the catalyst protein in the ejection chamber (again, very, very common in insects). Whether you believe in evolution or not, it is not the impossible mountain to climb that is put forth, merely a matter of perfectly normal incremental steps to get to the bug bomb.

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey, in case you didnt find anything, here's some info i found in a book of mines.

To protect itself, a bombardier beetle (Brachinus spp.) squirts a high-temperature toxin containing quinones, a corrosive substance that is also used in tanning leather . The chemicals that produce this noxious gas -Hydroquinone and hydrogen peroxide- are manufactured in separate abdominal glands. When the beetle is disturbed, they are brought together in an explosive enzymatic reaction; the resultin spray can be aimed in a 360-degree radius.