Trying to determine the most eye-candy centipede enclosures.

Ripa

Arachnobaron
It’s been a while since I’ve been on these forums, was waning from the hobby for a while but went back in. All I had for the last few years was an S. hainanum (who is a nice solid 8” specimen now)... then I bumped up by 6 more. Anyways, wondering what you guys think the most appealing but still escape proof centipede enclosures would be. Kinda trying to get them to compliment my tarantula enclosures that I decked out in exo terras with modified lids, live plants, moss, fluorescent lighting, etc. Pictured below are what I’m housing my 6 out of 7 centipedes in... would honestly like to do my S. sp “white legs” and S. heros “castaneiceps” (my two most active species) more justice.

- Top left S. polymorpha, middle left S. metuenda, bottom left S. hainanum, top right S. mirabilis (true form, not neon legs), middle right S. heros castaneiceps, bottom right S. sp. “white legs”... not pictured S. dehaani “cherry red” pedeling).

Attachments

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I just did I nice enclosure for my new Scolopendra heros var. castaneiceps. It has been amazing to see it acting more naturally and it hhas adopted the hollowed out log and dug a burrow underneathh it that hhas an exit/entrance on the side up against the glass. This was my first Chilopod enclosure and I am rathher pleased with hhow it looks and I hhave already recieved interest in it at work where it is living. Ive seen a lot of just boring tubs and subtrate and water dish enclosures, but I wasnt willing to do that. IMG_7938.jpg IMG_7935.jpg IMG_7934.jpg IMG_7932.jpg IMG_7931.jpg

Doodlebird

Arachnoknight
It’s been a while since I’ve been on these forums, was waning from the hobby for a while but went back in. All I had for the last few years was an S. hainanum (who is a nice solid 8” specimen now)... then I bumped up by 6 more. Anyways, wondering what you guys think the most appealing but still escape proof centipede enclosures would be. Kinda trying to get them to compliment my tarantula enclosures that I decked out in exo terras with modified lids, live plants, moss, fluorescent lighting, etc. Pictured below are what I’m housing my 6 out of 7 centipedes in... would honestly like to do my S. sp “white legs” and S. heros “castaneiceps” (my two most active species) more justice.

- Top left S. polymorpha, middle left S. metuenda, bottom left S. hainanum, top right S. mirabilis (true form, not neon legs), middle right S. heros castaneiceps, bottom right S. sp. “white legs”... not pictured S. dehaani “cherry red” pedeling).
I've seen some people make custom enclosures with acrylic. It can be a bit of work, but I love the clear corners, and you can make them any shape/size. I keep smaller stuff, so I like to make my own enclosures out of old containers :)

Ripa

Arachnobaron
I just did I nice enclosure for my new Scolopendra heros var. castaneiceps. It has been amazing to see it acting more naturally and it hhas adopted the hollowed out log and dug a burrow underneathh it that hhas an exit/entrance on the side up against the glass. This was my first Chilopod enclosure and I am rathher pleased with hhow it looks and I hhave already recieved interest in it at work where it is living. Ive seen a lot of just boring tubs and subtrate and water dish enclosures, but I wasnt willing to do that. View attachment 385389 View attachment 385390 View attachment 385391 View attachment 385392 View attachment 385393
The reason why I haven’t jumped to Exo-Terra for centipedes is because I know they can tear through mesh. I had a dehaani do that a ways back and had to coral the bastard into a corner lol. I guess I can do Exo Terra again if I just modify the tops... to a bit greater extent than I did for my tarantulas.

Ripa

Arachnobaron
I've seen some people make custom enclosures with acrylic. It can be a bit of work, but I love the clear corners, and you can make them any shape/size. I keep smaller stuff, so I like to make my own enclosures out of old containers :)
I have actually used acrylic ones for smaller specimens in the past (S. polymorpha, morsitans, etc), but I guess it depends on the acrylic quality in regards to the bowing and stuff. I am trying to have enclosure consistency across all my centipedes. I will admit I am a bit of a stickler with that 😂
Also I will be moving next year so I want things that I can trust not to crack during the journey ahead

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
The reason why I haven’t jumped to Exo-Terra for centipedes is because I know they can tear through mesh. I had a dehaani do that a ways back and had to coral the bastard into a corner lol. I guess I can do Exo Terra again if I just modify the tops... to a bit greater extent than I did for my tarantulas.
Yes well I siliconed drilled and thick acrylic underneath the mesh on the lid of the exoterra so thhat it would be escape proof.

Scoffing

Arachnopeon
Using an acrylic herpcult enclosure for my 6" cherry red and a smaller one for a smaller polymorpha. The lids are a little loose but used some toothpicks to keep them down tight.

Attachments

Ripa

Arachnobaron
Using an acrylic herpcult enclosure for my 6" cherry red and a smaller one for a smaller polymorpha. The lids are a little loose but used some toothpicks to keep them down tight.
I have a herpcult enclosure for my Paraphrynus raptator whip scorpion and at a smaller size it seems to hold up alright. I was worried that as they scaled up, how it supports itself and how well fitted the lid becomes may make it less viable for keeping larger centipedes. Although considering when I get more flagtails and probably for my polymorpha and maaaaybe mirabilis although mirabilis is a lot of pede for a 4.5” creature (quite thick)

Scoffing

Arachnopeon
The big one I have has a catch on the inside of the lid to keep it from just being pushed or pulled open got to lift before it will slide

Skreemre

Arachnopeon
Woww that looks amazing! I want to attempt one like that myself, i found a huge jar 16cmx16cmx25cm do you think I could use something like that if I cut a hole into the lid and put in a mesh for ventilation or would it be too small? If so what are the dimensions of yours?

LizardStudent

Arachnosquire
I actually just built out this Zoo Med 18x18x36 paludarium for my Malaysian cherry red; I originally wasn't going to build it out for her, but she would just constantly try to climb the walls of her 10 gal and was always out on display, so I figured why not, plus the paludarium style tank allows for over 6" of substrate depth. I tried to incorporate ramps, hiding spots, shelving, and holes all throughout the background as well as plenty of hiding spots and burrows deep in the back of the tank. I agree about the mesh top though and I plan to swap this one with one of those rigged up acrylic tops asap. Also, the grow light isn't staying on this setup - I just used it here for pictures and finishing touches. All of the plants were selected to be low-light tolerant. I've already caught her cruising around the whole setup multiple times :)
20210601_212937.jpg 20210601_221104.jpg 20210603_150038.jpg 20210603_150104.jpg 20210601_225604_002_saved.jpg