Trying times

brolloks

Arachnobaron
Hi Everyone,

Two of my Heterometrus sp. have died. :(
I bought three of them a few months back and they were doing really well, really loved their behaviour. After I housed them I noticed white mites appearing in their water dish, They either had mites when I bought them or it must have come from feeders I gave them. I was told that these where grain mites.
At the start there weren't that many but with the high humidity and temperature it caused their population to explode. I replaced the substrate and separated one of the scorpions. I always ensured to remove any uneaten feeder parts as well.

The scorpions all started to show signs of an incoming moult and that is were it all went down hill.
Two of the three started showing decreased activity and just generally looking really bad. They both died shortly after. On closer inspection I noticed quite a few mites on them, even around their book lungs! Could these bloody bugger have caused my scorpions to die?:punch:

I did some research and looked for ways to remove mites and assist the only survivor.
What I did was take a container with distilled water, drop the scorpion in it and continuously monitored it. After about and hour I took it out and started to remove as many mites as humanly possible, taking care to not injure him. I found mites everywhere! :anxious:

I have placed him in a clean enclosure(Made sure disinfect the old substrate and dispose of it).
He has fully recovered from the ordeal but I know there are still a few mites left on him. I feel so helpless against these little invaders!
I wouldn't mind the mites if they just stayed off the scorpion. How are you suppose to prevent them from causing your scorpion harm? I can't imagine drowning him to remove mites on a routine basis is very healthy for him.

Here are some photos of the little guy on the "Operating table" so to speak.

Last edited:

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Hey! You can buy predatory mites from online websites which will eat the grain mites without causing any harm to your scorpion :)

brolloks

Arachnobaron
Hey! You can buy predatory mites from online websites which will eat the grain mites without causing any harm to your scorpion :)
Hi, I have read about that. Only problem is I stay in South Africa and they don't sell anything like that here. Not sure I would want to import any mites.

I thought about maybe introducing some Isopod's into the enclosure to assist with enclosure maintenance, I have only been able to find Porcellio scaber so far.

Last edited:

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Springtails work great as when well seeded they will outcompete mites. All my tanks are either very dry or have springtails and I typically don't have mite problems.

brolloks

Arachnobaron
Springtails work great as when well seeded they will outcompete mites. All my tanks are either very dry or have springtails and I typically don't have mite problems.
I might be able to actually get springtail, they love to stay in my carnivorous plant pots and I frequently see them. Will give them a try.

Thanks