Trying not to be redundant...

jt39565

Arachnoknight
I am about to receive a couple of spiderlings, B. smithi & G. pulchra, and was wondering about some of the terminology that is being used to describe them SLINGS, and the STAR 1 & 2? also how do you know if your spider has made it to adulthood?
I know these sound like trivial questions & I'm probably posting on the wrong place, etc, just overlook my ignorance if you would.:?

tarantulamex

Arachnopeon
I am about to receive a couple of spiderlings from Ken, B. smithi & G. pulchra, and was wondering about some of the terminology that is being used to describe them SLINGS, and the STAR 1 & 2? also how do you know if your spider has made it to adulthood?
I know these sound like trivial questions & I'm probably posting on the wrong place, etc, just overlook my ignorance if you would.:?
Hey I have kept t's for many years but without access to others so I also have trouble with the terminology and abbreviations that is used here. I would sure appreciate if someone could send me a list of abbreviations and terminology to my email.Thanks for listening. ornamentaltarantula@hotmail.com

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sling or s'ling = spiderling

1st instar or 1i = after their first molt they are first instar then after each molt it becomes 2i, 3i, etc. I'm pretty sure this is how it goes. They become adults after they reach maturity, which takes many years depending on the spider and how it's cared for.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
its goes

eggs with legs(eggs that have developed legs- they can barely move)

1st instar-still dont look like spiders yet- very limited mobility, but can move somewhat, some species have been observed eating each other at this stage)

2nd instar- they look like spiders-also called "slings" they can move around, usually eat there first meal, and will start cannibalizing each other(unless communal, and even then may eat each other) also they are usually sold at this stage.

each molt from then on is another "instar" it just keeps going until the specimen dies.

OBT- Orange baboon tarantula- but commonly refered to "orange bitey thing" also refers to the P. murinus.

Pokie- tarantula in the poecilotheria genus

Arboreal- tarantulas that predominately live in trees- kept in vertical tanks

terrestrial- ground dwelling species

pet holes- burrowing species, usually staying in their burrows for prolonged periods of time- all one see is a hole in the substrate- aka "pet hole"

Gbb= green bottle blue- aka Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens very popular species of semi arboreal spide. bright blue legs with green carapace.

The list goes on. I suggest searching around and you will find a lot of info.

Ms.X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
was wondering about some of the terminology that is being used to describe them SLINGS, and the STAR 1 & 2? also how do you know if your spider has made it to adulthood?
Hey I have kept t's for many years but without access to others so I also have trouble with the terminology and abbreviations that is used here. I would sure appreciate if someone could send me a list of abbreviations and terminology to my email.Thanks for listening. ornamentaltarantula@hotmail.com
Here is a very good post regarding terminology and abbreviations used by hobbyists on many forums:
http://atshq.org/boards/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=21122

Here is a link to the sticky at the top of this subforum that has the answers to many other questions that you might have (and if it doesn't have the answer you're looking for, it does have an excellent tutorial on how to find it yourself using the search function):
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=145454

jt39565

Arachnoknight
Thanx for the "education" mainly the instar thing was what had me bewildered. I appreciate the help and am sure that it wont be the last time I call upon your services.

Weird_Arachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
pet holes- burrowing species, usually staying in their burrows for prolonged periods of time- all one see is a hole in the substrate- aka "pet hole"
LoL. Have yet to hear/read about that one (well pretty much I haven't came across the terminology). I like it! :D

As far as instars go, I was befuddled with that one too.