true zebra??

Spider-Man v2.0

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i got a "comman zebra" from pet co the other day.
but, what kinda zebra is it exacly??? any one know about what kinda zebras thay cary at pet co??

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Most likely a Aphonopelma seemanni

Regards, Mike

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
mostly, petshops just make up common names. you need to show us a pic to get even an educated guess at what it is...

iucandi

Arachnopeon
THat looks exactly like my A. Seemanni... aka a "True Zebra" from PetCo, as well

He likes to hide, a lot. I initially made a burrow for him but he hasn't decided to use it for a week so I filled it in. Apparently once they make their own burrow they will like to stay there quite a bit. Don't forget to keep your humidity levels up.

I love my A. Seemanni!!

iucandi

Arachnopeon
Oh, I forgot to mention. From the looks of it your A. Seemanni looks to be from Nicaragua. If it were darker then it would have been an A. Seemanni from Costa Rica. There isn't any other difference between the two. They have also been reported together in the wild.

tospace

Arachnopeon
I really doesn't matter about the colour. My A. Seemani was exactaly that colour but after 2 molts it tured to blue

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Its an A. seemani. I was at a Petco today and they label all of their seemanis "true zebra tarantulas". I asked one of the employees what that meant, you know, are there people out there who sell fake zebra tarantulas? He gave me a really stupid look and walked off.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
true zebra

Ha, thats funny. 'True' as opposed to what? A 'False' Zebra? These made-up petstore names are ridiculous.

Bedlam

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tan spinnerettes are the dead giveaway.
Give it LOTS of substrate to dig in and it'll be happy.

Spider-Man v2.0

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
how moist should the dirt be?? right now its moist and dark, but not so wet that it will drip if u squize it between ur fingers.

Topcat1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I got one of these too. The Petco here has a nametag that shows a small picture and it says True Zebra. Under that in really small letters is Aphonapelma Seemani. I have one of these as well, and while mine was a coffee color with alot of cream added, when it molted it was gorgeous black with some bright orange hairs on it, and beautiful! I saw another one there that molted and did the exact same thing, but it was more blue colored. Our Petco is awesome, they really treat their T's well, but the names they give them are weird. My juvenile A.avicularia was a "Large Pink Toe" Go figure. I bought a B.emilia that was next to a B.smithi. Both were named "Red Knees" In all honesty, what do you expect? Not many experts in a pet store, I'm just glad ours takes better care of their T's than other pet stores

starmaiden

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
LOL! I just bought an A. semanni at a mom n' pop last week and they called it "Striped Knee Tarantula"

Now I see why you all use the scientific names on here! ;) I thought it was really annoying at first, especially since I have a Chromatopelma cyanopubescens, perhaps the longest scientific name on this board! :8o

Congrats on your new T! She's very pretty You will love her. :eek: