True spider market

Europus Gigantus

Arachnopeon
Hey Jonathan,
It is pretty apparent, that outside of jumping spiders, people don't really have much interest in trues (except for maybe Lycosidae or Sparassidae.) I have six trues that are quite local to my location and I can't find any information on keeping them, and very little about them at all. Like so many new keepers, I started watching videos about tarantulas, then reading about the scientific aspects, and found it interesting. Then I noticed a spider I hadn't really seen before and decided to keep it. Then another, and another, etc. There is really so little information about their preferred habitat, diet, etc., I couldn't imagine selling or even giving them away when everything I do with them is a guess. The one thing I have learned, is that they are NOT tarantulas. Also, it's really hard to find food besides crickets for them, and the crickets I do get are usually too big or too small. (They do seem to be fairly healthy, though. I have no idea what the lifespan is.) Anyway, I hear ya, brother!
I wish there was a place where keepers of off the wall true spiders could discuss with others with the same passion.

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Purely because the interest is substantially lower than that of scorpions or theraphosids.
There are a few breeders of true spider, but not a lot.
Most true spiders don’t live long which bums people out, and most non-theraphosid mygalomorphs are pet holes.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
I know of only a couple people that breed and import true spiders with a good variety. But honestly I understand why some people may not have interest in them. The short lifespan and stuff is a bummer. But I’ve recently got an interest in them and if I see one in my house that I like, or online I grab it. I’ve managed to find a bunch of different jumping spider species, wolf spiders, widows. And I ordered some funnel webs and curtain webs. I see trapdoors, sand spiders, velvet spiders, and fishing spiders quite often. I think that for the amount of people that likely have an interest in them, they’re out there to find.

You may already know of my favorite vendor for them but if you’re looking for some and can’t find them, look up Tom Patterson on Instagram. He’s always got a good variety and if he doesn’t have something, you can ask if he’s planning on importing any soon. His stock changes a lot too with a little patience you’ll probably find many you’re looking for.

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
I know of only a couple people that breed and import true spiders with a good variety. But honestly I understand why some people may not have interest in them. The short lifespan and stuff is a bummer. But I’ve recently got an interest in them and if I see one in my house that I like, or online I grab it. I’ve managed to find a bunch of different jumping spider species, wolf spiders, widows. And I ordered some funnel webs and curtain webs. I see trapdoors, sand spiders, velvet spiders, and fishing spiders quite often. I think that for the amount of people that likely have an interest in them, they’re out there to find.

You may already know of my favorite vendor for them but if you’re looking for some and can’t find them, look up Tom Patterson on Instagram. He’s always got a good variety and if he doesn’t have something, you can ask if he’s planning on importing any soon. His stock changes a lot too with a little patience you’ll probably find many you’re looking for.
Yea Tom Patterson has an amazing stock