True spider ID

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
This spider was found here on Long Island NY. I know very little about true spiders so any info would help. Cheiracanthium sp?

Thanks, Tom

Attachments

KUJordan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ooo, that's a toughy. i'm working on it. do you still have the little guy? if so, try to get some pics of the eyes and/or spinns.

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
This spider was found here on Long Island NY. I know very little about true spiders so any info would help. Cheiracanthium sp?

Thanks, Tom
hello!
i don#T know what it is, but it is definetly no Cheiracanthium spp. cause in the usa there is zero species domiciled ;) sorry.

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The conical spinneretes and overal color and leg lengths do indicate a Clubionidae which are very common. However, it dosen't really resemble Cheiracanthium which is now in the family Miturgidae, which is extremely closely related to the Clubionidae (where Cheiracanthium mildei used to be).

As for this:
it is definetly no Cheiracanthium spp. cause in the usa there is zero species domiciled sorry.
There most definitley are Cheiracanthium species that are common in the U.S. Cheiracanthium mildei and inclusum are common in my area.

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i just searched PLATNICK...

mf mildei L. Koch, 1864....................Holarctic, Argentina

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's definitely a C. inclusum. And don't underestimate it! These things can give quite a nasty poke!

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
mf inclusum (Hentz, 1847)....................New World, Africa, Réunion

i know that PLATNICK isn'T complete ;)
it looks like inclusum.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In my experience of ID'ing spiders online, you see very few C.mildei. They are in the USA ( introduced from Europe--Britain I believe ), but the native species is far more prevalent. Which is just great, because C.inclusum is the more venomous of the two, lol. :rolleyes: In general, C.mildei lacks the vivid/ neon yellow coloration of the inclusum, so if you have a bright lemon yellow sac spider, you can assume it is probably inclusum. Mildei is colored in subdued tones--light browns.

Here are some pics for comparison:

C.mildei: http://bugguide.net/node/view/3363#14710

C.inclusum: http://bugguide.net/node/view/35641