True Spider ID help needed, please?

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Hi, all ! I found a spider while raking my back yard yesterday. Nearly always I carry a vial with me (the kind that D. hydei's come in, with holes for ventilation), so I scooped her up. I abandoned my raking so I could take her inside for a photosession.

I've not seen these before, but have studied extensively with True Spiders, and
sadly, I can't find an exact match. :wall:

On top of all that, in the process of a more intense photosession, I injured her when she startled me by zipping out of her vial. In my haste to recapture her, she got smushed too hard with the vial when it fell on her. :8o She's still alive, but I fear not for long.

I've several ideas as to her ID, but I know the more experienced members will know better as I.

Some info: She will fit very nicely on an US 10-cent coin. Ventral side is completely the same color as her chelicerae (spelling?). She made a very sparse web in her vial. An Q-tip with water was offered, never did see her drink. Here's the cool part: When she saw the Green Bottle fly I fed her, she went nuts! Very very aggressive with prey items! She left her webbing and chased that fly til she caught it, and made quick work of it. She was offered another, and same thing.

Her mannerisms remind me of these: Kukulcania hibernalis (the way she used her front legs); Lycosa (the way she hunts); Sac Spiders (the way she rests, but webbing is not papery).

Oh, and her eyes: very highly reflective, as is the Kukulcania's are. Because of this, it's difficult to determine exactly how they are. To me, her eye arrangement is exactly the same as Yellow Ghost spiders. Fast girl, too!

Sorry for the rambling, but I wanted to include all observations made, to help with ID. The pics are also not the greatest, my Macrolens is at my Sister's. :8o

Any ideas, anyone? I am quite fascinated with these, and it seems I have a yardful of them! Look carefully at the one pic of her abdomen and you will see the VERY faint markings... thanks for any info and ID's! S.

Last edited:

davisfam

Arachnoknight
Hacklemesh Weavers (Amaurobiidae)
http://bugguide.net/images/cache/Q0...QYR0QK060R090TR7QQ0N0YQYKYQHQ3RSQURRQURG0.jpg

We are not experts but based on our knowledge of True Spiders and living in the state of Florida as well, this is our best guess for an ID. After doing research, a few other species looked familiar along with the Hacklemesh Weaver but due to it's quickness, eye pattern, markings, etc. your spider matches best with the Amaurobiidae species, in our opinion.

Information: http://bugguide.net/node/view/7018

GOOD LUCK!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Thank you

for the quick response and research, davisfam! And your ID is exactly what I was thinking. Her small size is what threw me off.

My poor girl went to The Big Web in the Sky... hope she finds all the Green Bottle flies that she can eat!

I think I will look for another one later, as I am very interested in them now. Only this time I won't let it crawl on my hand... :eek:

Thanks again, davisfam, for the ID. Now I can study more on these! :clap:

S.