Photo #V
IMG_3855.JPG
Photo #VI
IMG_3857.JPG
Photo #VII
IMG_3382.JPG
Photo #VIII
IMG_3384.JPG
We are immature males with very similar appearance but one of us is the long term true Acanthoscurria geniculata. One of us is just one molt behind but as you can see he will be molting soon. When we reach maturity we will post photos of us to show off our new mature body and show everyone else how different both of us will look.

We had an older acquaintance that had similar appearance from us and matured to adulthood and his appearance was not like the true geniculata as well his black markings was was a little bit smaller than both of ours and not surprisingly when he matured his appearance was not like the long term true Acanthoscurria geniculata as we suspected.

We are told by taxonomists that we are variants from different localities, if that is true we wish to know our locality, or are some of us just plain hybrids that we have been muddled really bad in your beautiful hobby.

Photo I and II is of the true Acanthoscurria geniculata. Photo III and IV is of the Acanthoscurria geniculata variant/hybrid????? Photo V, VI and VII is of the Acanthoscurria geniculata variant/hybrid????????? Photo VIII, is of the true Acanthoscurria geniculata mature male "old photo".

Sorry That most of these photos are <edit> for right now due to the weather this is the best I can do. I'm 100% percent sure that the specimen on photo III and IV will mature and not have the same appearance as the true geniculata of photo I and II.

Last edited by a moderator:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Mi amigo-- have you noticed if carpeting slows down their movement? Years ago a GBB owner reported to me that carpeting, like yours, slowed down their GBB and thus it was easier to deal with during rehouse etc, as opposed to being on a flat surface, like a floor.

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Photo #I
View attachment 228010
Photo #II
View attachment 228011
Photo #III
View attachment 228012
Photo #IV
View attachment 228013
Photo #V
View attachment 228014
Photo #VI
View attachment 228015
Photo #VII
View attachment 228016
Photo #VIII
View attachment 228017
We are immature males with very similar appearance but one of us is the long term true Acanthoscurria geniculata. One of us is just one molt behind but as you can see he will be molting soon. When we reach maturity we will post photos of us to show off our new mature body and show everyone else how different both of us will look.

We had an older acquaintance that had similar appearance from us and matured to adulthood and his appearance was not like the true geniculata as well his black markings was was a little bit smaller than both of ours and not surprisingly when he matured his appearance was not like the long term true Acanthoscurria geniculata as we suspected.

We are told by taxonomists that we are variants from different localities, if that is true we wish to know our locality, or are some of us just plain hybrids that we have been muddled really bad in your beautiful hobby.

Photo I and II is of the true Acanthoscurria geniculata. Photo III and IV is of the Acanthoscurria geniculata variant/hybrid????? Photo V, VI and VII is of the Acanthoscurria geniculata variant/hybrid????????? Photo VIII, is of the true Acanthoscurria geniculata mature male "old photo".

Sorry That most of these photos are <edit> for right now due to the weather this is the best I can do. I'm 100% percent sure that the specimen on photo III and IV will mature and not have the same appearance as the true geniculata of photo I and II.

Definitely a hybrid....loOK at the 4th segment . ...nice frankenstein again amigo.....everything you have....hybrids lol

Last edited:

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
Mi amigo-- have you noticed if carpeting slows down their movement? Years ago a GBB owner reported to me that carpeting, like yours, slowed down their GBB and thus it was easier to deal with during rehouse etc, as opposed to being on a flat surface, like a floor.
Probably because the claws on the end of their legs get caught in the carpet. Probably makes loosing a leg on carpet more likely.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When dealing with old world tarantulas specially young ones not good to have them on carpet do for them loosing a leg accidentally as stated above ^^^^^^

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
When dealing with old world tarantulas specially young ones not good to have them on carpet do for them loosing a leg accidentally as stated above ^^^^^^
I don't know myself. None of my Ts have ever been out of their homes in that manner. I saw a GBB owner and they told me this. I didn't expect carpet to slow them down. I saw your pics and it reminded me of that person's account.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
The one in picture III also seems to be missing the rose/cream colour outline on the edge of its carapace. So maybe that is another element people can use to differentiate the true from hybrid.

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
@JoeRossi
Am i missing something? I don't understand why my post is funny?
Not much to do with you and it was accidentally clicked on yours, but rather an inside joke between me and pinche joto berrios lol. He will continue his hybrid posts until every Brachy, Acanthoscurria, and Rose Hair hybrid in America ha's been found and dealt with....he knows I wish him only the best in his quest :alien.

I changed it to optimistic for ya Andrea.....

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Not much to do with you and it was accidentally clicked on yours, but rather an inside joke between me and pinche joto berrios lol. He will continue his hybrid posts until every Brachy, Acanthoscurria, and Rose Hair hybrid in America ha's been found and dealt with....he knows I wish him only the best in his quest :alien.

I changed it to creative for ya Andrea.....
Oh, good! I have a reaaonable skill in english, but when there are specific phrases or jokes, i don't always understand.

A good cause though, trying to keep species pure.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't know myself. None of my Ts have ever been out of their homes in that manner. I saw a GBB owner and they told me this. I didn't expect carpet to slow them down. I saw your pics and it reminded me of that person's account.
@JoeRossi What was creative about my post?

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
@JoeRossi What was creative about my post?
The creativity of thought that carpet could potentially be beneficial (Slow Down) or a hindrance (Get Stuck) to our wonderful beloved tarantula. I have witnessed all the above occur especially when separating thousands of slings and a bugger makes a run for it.

I can change it to a cookie,lollipop, or a beer if you prefer lol.

Any other explanation(s) lol

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The creativity of thought that carpet could potentially be beneficial (Slow Down) or a hindrance (Get Stuck) to our wonderful beloved tarantula. I have witnessed all the above occur especially when separating thousands of slings and a bugger makes a run for it.

I can change it to a cookie,lollipop, or a beer if you prefer lol.

Any other explanation(s) lol
Well, it is not creativity on my part; I definitely didn't make it up haha. I reported what someone observed with their own GBB. I don't see how that is creative at all.

This person's GBB was about 4-5" if I recall.

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Well, it is not creativity on my part; I definitely didn't make it up haha. I reported what someone observed with their own GBB. I don't see how that is creative at all.

This person's GBB was about 4-5" if I recall.
Perhaps there is some misinterpretation on the definition of the creativity icon. I believe you view the icon creative to be interpreted as mythological or that you made something up. I don't view it as that at all, but that it was simply creative to point out an interesting fact about the carpet when seeing a picture when no one else did.

We can continue to analyze our definition of all the icons as I am sure they all have different meaning or opinion to the individual who posts them, but I think it would be an agree to disagree scenario for many. Hopefully that further aids in why I found your post creative, but I will get you a cookie, a beer, and a lollipop because I like them all and want to share lol

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Perhaps there is some misinterpretation on the definition of the creativity icon. I believe you view the icon creative to be interpreted as mythological or that you made something up. I don't view it as that at all, but that it was simply creative to point out an interesting fact about the carpet when seeing a picture when no one else did.

We can continue to analyze our definition of all the icons as I am sure they all have different meaning or opinion to the individual who posts them, but I think it would be an agree to disagree scenario for many. Hopefully that further aids in why I found your post creative, but I will get you a cookie, a beer, and a lollipop because I like them all and want to share lol
You are in fact correct in my view point of the Creative icon. I have 2 uses for it, the person made something up, OR someone came up with a clever remark. But like other icons people use them for different thoughts of their own.

HAHAH I like the cookie! Thanks ;)

I think a lot of people, myself included, don't always present all the facts when relaying an observed event. If I recall correctly the GBB owner had reported initially that their GBB wasn't that fast-- leaving out the carpet. That sounded unusual, either they were lucky or something else was going on that we didn't know about. I believe I PM'd the person and that's where the carpet fact came out.

I haven't seen a person mention carpet/tarantula since then (a few years ago at least), so when I saw that picture, it reminded me instantly of the observation by the GBB owner.

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
You are in fact correct in my view point of the Creative icon. I have 2 uses for it, the person made something up, OR someone came up with a clever remark. But like other icons people use them for different thoughts of their own.

HAHAH I like the cookie! Thanks ;)

I think a lot of people, myself included, don't always present all the facts when relaying an observed event. If I recall correctly the GBB owner had reported initially that their GBB wasn't that fast-- leaving out the carpet. That sounded unusual, either they were lucky or something else was going on that we didn't know about. I believe I PM'd the person and that's where the carpet fact came out.

I haven't seen a person mention carpet/tarantula since then (a few years ago at least), so when I saw that picture, it reminded me instantly of the observation by the GBB owner.

Well that is exactly why I gave you the creative icon as many reference's seem to recycle over and over and over here on AB and I had not seen the carpet factor mentioned in some time.

P.S. I gave you a slice of cake because I like that as well....have no idea what it means lol

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well that is exactly why I gave you the creative icon as many reference's seem to recycle over and over and over here on AB and I had not seen the carpet factor mentioned in some time.

P.S. I gave you a slice of cake because I like that as well....have no idea what it means lol
Hahaha. I used to dish out the cake icon as well, thinking the same "what does it mean" hah. Few people hate cake, so it must be good!

Thanks for your thoughts Joe. Indeed a lot of recycling....sometimes good, sometimes bad. Yeah the carpet factor was certainly a surprise.