Trouble in T-ville??

Ropes4u

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This morning while doing my daily spider check before work I found my Giant white knee (Acanthoscurria geniculata) hanging from the top of her petpal..The trouble is she is starting to molt and I can see where her abdomen is starting to split. Should I leave her alone or try to bring her down and place her on the substrate - peat and vermec. mix.

I am moving her to a 5 gallon aquarium when this molt is complete as I figure she will be around 4-5", the new substrate will be coconut coir.

Thanks, Ropes

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
Let me get this straight...is she stuck by one leg from the top? If so I would think you'd have to get her down.

Ropes4u

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
She is hanging up there of her own free will, which leads me to belive she is fine. If she was stuck I would have removed her already. .

Ropes

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
In that case I'd think you ought to leave her alone...but I'd get more opinions than one before you do anything.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
hmmm, how far is the substrate from the top of the petpal where she is hanging?
Has she 'popped' the carapace yet?
In other words, how far is she going to 'fall' when she extracts her self?

Ropes4u

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
She will fall about 3" when/if she stays there. All I can see is a small spilt about an 1/8" long on top of her abdomen. She apprears to be healthy and only two days ago gorged herself on 6 small (3/8") crickets.

Ropes

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
hmmm, don't know what I'd do, but it makes me nervous that she will fall even 3". They are like jello right after molting.
Can you pack the substrate higher without disturbing her?
that's what I'd probably attempt, but geez, I've never had this occur.
Hope someone else might chime in with a better idea!

Advocatus

Arachnopeon
What I would do if theres room for it, is to stable some books, cd's etc. under her until it alsmost reaches her
( make sure it is stable though ) so that if she falls, it's no more than 1/2 " or less. A 3" fall right after a molt would almost certainly be fatal, or atleast VERY damaging.

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am wondering if it would actually be damaging if she fell a small distance... they are so soft when they come out of the shell that it might just absorb the shock... its kinda like dropping toothpaste in the sink instead of an egg.

I wouldnt really test the theory on purpose though.

Doug H

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
soom people are suggesting to put things under her.that means taking the lid off. why not take the lid off and turn it right side up then place the lid and T in the 5 gallon tank?

Ropes4u

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am getting paranoid now, when I get home if she is still up there I will capture her and place her in a deli cup or tuperware container that is only 2 inches tall. It should prevent STOOPID (her new name) from harming herself until she has hardened.

Thanks for all the advice, John

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
LOL John!
I hope it turns out alright for you and her... seems she's a bit confused on how to go about the molting procedure...you'd think she's never done this before :D
Please keep us updated on what you do, or not do, and how she does. It will be good information if someone elses' T decides to 'molt stoopid' too <G>