Trouble Feeding Stonefish

Rabid538

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey guys. I have a 6 in. Stonefish that started to reject the frozen-thawed catfish I have been feeding it. It hasn't eaten in a couple of weeks. I had it on frozen thawed since I got it which was about 3 months ago and it hasn't had a problem before. Should I try to give him live or switch to something other than catfish? I'm not sure what feeders I could use with brackish water though. By the way the aquarium has 1.5 tbs. salt per gallon, pH of 8.0, temperature of 80°F. Thank you for your help.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
May I ask for the scientific name? With it in being in brackish water. Watch those fingers irregardless.

Not too much SW experience but I would try other frozen foods first before resorting to live. Frozen squid, marine fish, market prawns(shell removed), etc. If not...a live shrimp/crayfish may do the trick. The problem with feeding live is should an animal become hooked it will be difficult to wean if off.

I would also check your chems and other husbandry.

Rabid538

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
May I ask for the scientific name? With it in being in brackish water. Watch those fingers irregardless.

Not too much SW experience but I would try other frozen foods first before resorting to live. Frozen squid, marine fish, market prawns(shell removed), etc. If not...a live shrimp/crayfish may do the trick. The problem with feeding live is should an animal become hooked it will be difficult to wean if off.

I would also check your chems and other husbandry.
I am not positive on the scientific name since I got it just labeled as "stonefish" from the LPS. But my guess would be Batrachus trispinosus. Thank you for the advice, I do not like using live either. I was trying to avoid it, but stonefish are apparently picky eaters. I will try some other frozen foods like you said and see if his appetite changes.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Btw-if you are not already supplementing him that may be something to consider. A SW fish fed on nothing but FW(?) catfish meat seems to be asking for some kind of omega 3 deficiency.

Rabid538

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Btw-if you are not already supplementing him that may be something to consider. A SW fish fed on nothing but FW(?) catfish meat seems to be asking for some kind of omega 3 deficiency.
Okay, I did not realize that. If I put him on something like smelt, would that suffice for omega 3?

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
a varied diet of various marine fish/inverts should suffice-but some keepers still supplement(much more important with animals that are eating a restricted diet in captivity such as seahorses). I wouldn't feel comfortable advising you on the fine points of this but I'm sure if you pose thsi question on a SW forum(reefcentral perhaps) you should get excellent advice.

Rabid538

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
a varied diet of various marine fish/inverts should suffice-but some keepers still supplement(much more important with animals that are eating a restricted diet in captivity such as seahorses). I wouldn't feel comfortable advising you on the fine points of this but I'm sure if you pose thsi question on a SW forum(reefcentral perhaps) you should get excellent advice.
I will do some more research on supplements then and see what I can find in the store. Thank you again, I appreciate the help.

Rabid538

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Could you try wiggling food on tongs in front of it?
I was doing that when I first got him but eventually he stopped taking it from tongs. It just stressed him out. Then I placed it in front of him and left him alone and he would eat it.

Last edited:

Rabid538

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I bought some perch and offered it. He didn't take it on the first try. I will try again tomorrow.