Trouble deciding on terrain for my new T. Blondi.

Tyrannosaur

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've had Rose Hair for about 5 years when I was younger, and now have a rose hair grown from about 1cm to a full 6 inches now. Is over 12 years old now too! And caved in and decided to get a 4" T. Blondi, female. I've used regular old packed bark for my rose hairs and they did and are doing fine, but the girl at the pet store recommened cyprus bark. I've heard I shouldn't use any type of wood for it. I got a 10 gallon tank for it and wanted about 4-5" thick of terrain for a nice burrow. I'm going to the pet shop in a bit and wondered if there is anything at petco worth buying for that.

And since I've got her she has eaten 12 medium to large crickets in 1 day! {D What an appetite!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You are correct, staying away from bark is a good idea. But when it comes to T. Blondi I doubt your going to get a burrower. Most of them will readily use a hide such as a big piece of cork bark, or a clay flower pot. But I have never owned one that wanted to burrow.
That being said.
Use peat moss mixed with some sphagnum moss, this will hold moisture better and "if" she takes to burrowing support a nice firm burrow. Just pack it in there and start a burrow where you want her to and she might take to it.

Bark is just back cause it causes to much wear and tear on a Ts body over time. That would be like us crawling around bare foot and over vocanic rock.

Tyrannosaur

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ah ok. Well my does like to burrow a bit. I am trying to get him out of the burrow I made him yestereday. He has dug it even deeper, and made it a good 1/3 bigger than before. As soon as I get him out of there I am going to re-do his whole cage correctly. So some good moss with no chemicals would be choice... Petco got that stuff or would i have to go to a hardwear store?

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i would go to like the garden section of home depot. I use Scotts brand Peat Moss, its cheap and you get enough for many Tanks.

Tyrannosaur

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I guess I got a few more questions aslo. I was thinking for a new burrow to have it in the corner of the tank so i can see him in his burrow, but also having it built so it has no chance of collapsing. I think I can move some rocks and other things to accomplish this.

I also got a few questions about behavior. So far mine has done nothing but eat, and eat. When i put him in his cage he just stayed in the corner taking up every cricket that has come by, then he went down to his burrow at night and has stayed there ever since. I can't get him out and he hasn't explored or even tried climbing around. I've heard that they are some notorious escape artists, and have had both of my full size rosies escape :wall:

This sound pretty normal? They just like to stay in one place?

Tyrannosaur

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh and another thing. Are Blondis known to jump? I've had my cuttent rose hair jump 1 food diagnally at me landing on the glass of the cage once when i stuck my hand in there to pet her.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh and another thing. Are Blondis known to jump? I've had my cuttent rose hair jump 1 food diagnally at me landing on the glass of the cage once when i stuck my hand in there to pet her.
Huh????:? I never saw one jump over 3 or 4 inches if that LOL

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Are Blondis known to jump? I've had my cuttent rose hair jump 1 food diagnally at me landing on the glass of the cage once
Pretty much like Brian said, unless they are making the quick move to kill something I dont think I have ever seen them "jump"

when i stuck my hand in there to pet her.
Why?

Tyrannosaur

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i was thinking the same why "pet her " :? %%%phil
I'll handle the rose hairs. I've never had one bite me and only have had them get mad at me a couple of times. I held my old one all the time. She was a real sweetheart. Give her a little stroke on the "butt", and if she didn't stridulate, she was ok to go and give her a push into my hand.

Now with my T. Blondi, I've got a soft plant stem I use to move him around. At first if I touch his back leg he'll jump around and get defensive in a split second, then after some more soft nudges i can get him to move around nice and slowly with no fast movement. I'm wondering if doing this often when he is not in his burrow will make him a little less agressive to me doing stuff in his cage. Like would he learn after a while that the long green stick is not a threat. He hasn't fanged it yet.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've had Rose Hair for about 5 years when I was younger, and now have a rose hair grown from about 1cm to a full 6 inches now. Is over 12 years old now too! And caved in and decided to get a 4" T. Blondi, female. I've used regular old packed bark for my rose hairs and they did and are doing fine, but the girl at the pet store recommened cyprus bark. I've heard I shouldn't use any type of wood for it. I got a 10 gallon tank for it and wanted about 4-5" thick of terrain for a nice burrow. I'm going to the pet shop in a bit and wondered if there is anything at petco worth buying for that.

And since I've got her she has eaten 12 medium to large crickets in 1 day! {D What an appetite!

Yeah, like the rest have said, I would not use bark. I would even go as far as removing it from your G.rosea and get some Peat or even the bricks you can get from a petstore. Keep the G.rosea dry and T.blondi moist.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think I can safely say this, no terrestrial or burrower can literally jump, they just pounce at their prey.

Arboreal tarantulas can jump though.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'll handle the rose hairs. I've never had one bite me and only have had them get mad at me a couple of times. I held my old one all the time. She was a real sweetheart. Give her a little stroke on the "butt", and if she didn't stridulate, she was ok to go and give her a push into my hand.

Now with my T. Blondi, I've got a soft plant stem I use to move him around. At first if I touch his back leg he'll jump around and get defensive in a split second, then after some more soft nudges i can get him to move around nice and slowly with no fast movement. I'm wondering if doing this often when he is not in his burrow will make him a little less agressive to me doing stuff in his cage. Like would he learn after a while that the long green stick is not a threat. He hasn't fanged it yet.
Tarantulas can't really learn anything, it'll keep attacking the green stick as long as it shall live.

Tyrannosaur

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Haha. Dumb spider, ok {D

So I went out to the hardwear store and got some peat moss in bulk for my T's. Here are some pics of "Gusty" before and now in it's new enclosure. Oh, and when i bought it, it had just molted. I even have the old shell that came in the small cage it came with!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That is a nice setup you did good. Thank goodness that nasty bark is gone. He should be a happy T.

Tyrannosaur

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks! Now i gotta go get him some more crickets after he ate 20 in a day and a half. Where does he put them?:eek:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks! Now i gotta go get him some more crickets after he ate 20 in a day and a half. Where does he put them?:eek:
I agree, great setup! :clap:

Wow, that sure is alot of crickets, I think you should let him settle down a bit before feeding again. Remember, feeding Ts isn't about how much they'll eat, but rather how much they should eat. For a blondi of that size, I would feed it around 5 crickets a week.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There is such a thing as feeding to much. Just because he at 20 does not mean its a good thing. I would reduce feedings to 3-5 crickets per week.