Trouble breeding versicolors!

US Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I recently purchased two mature females and a mature male A. Versicolor. The mature male matured early summer and he made a sperm web today. I tried to breed him with both of the females today and neither female was receptive to him. He was recpetive to them and he was more than eager to breed but they wanted nothing to do with him and they were not aggresive toward him. He was actually on top of one of the females but she just walked away from him. Any ideas on why the females aren't interested in the male?:confused:

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Had they molted recently?
Million dollar question!!!

How big are they, when did they last molt???
You just can"t throw Avis together and expect them to crank out a sac.

Good luck though.

Hope your boy survives at least the encounters.

PIG-

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are the females big enough ? If they are to small , then of course they cant have a sac . My female is 4" . Next molt will be 4.5" and be ready to breed . If your females are like 3.5 or something , it probably wont work out .

Versi*JP*Color

Arachnoknight
Are the females big enough ? If they are to small , then of course they cant have a sac . My female is 4" . Next molt will be 4.5" and be ready to breed . If your females are like 3.5 or something , it probably wont work out .
Not true versis can be bred at 3.5 in.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Had they molted recently?

And the "experts speak!"

Hey spider, Pig is on it. When did the girls molt. I don't know Avic's all well, but a breeders dream is a "fresh male" and a "fresh female" If your females are nearing anywhere towards a molt, she won't even bat an eye at him. In fact, he would more than likely become a dinner mint for the girl!

Joe

US Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The one female is 5" and the other female is 5.5". I recently purchased them so I dont know when they molted last. I have had them for a few days and with Avics I am not sure when they are ready to molt since they all have a patch on their abdomen. I have gotten a couple sacs from different species but i've only had a few avics in my day. So I am not all that familiar with them. I dont expect to put them in a tank and have them start cranking out sacs. LOL.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The one female is 5" and the other female is 5.5". I recently purchased them so I dont know when they molted last. I have had them for a few days and with Avics I am not sure when they are ready to molt since they all have a patch on their abdomen. I have gotten a couple sacs from different species but i've only had a few avics in my day. So I am not all that familiar with them. I dont expect to put them in a tank and have them start cranking out sacs. LOL.

My guess... wait for a molt and let er rip! My female versi just molted if you are interested in trying your male for a 50/50 before he expires, shoot me a PM.

Joe - CAK

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Usually Avics will stop eating, lay a molting web or web themself into their web, may have issues climbing, etc.

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It didn't hurt to pair them up, in a controlled situation, but now that your females have refused him you have very little choice in how to proceed. They may need some time to settle in first, so give them a few weeks and perhaps try again, always being careful of aggressive action against your lone male. I don't think I would have paired up new purchases as quickly as you apparently did. Shipping/rehousing can be hard on them. Chances are both females need to molt and it seems, at my house at least, that the presence of a mature male sometimes bumps up their molt cycle. My ladies hate to waste a good man. {D Good luck. I hope in a fw months we getto read about your new sac. Diane

US Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I recently bought them but didnt attempt to breed them at first. I've had them for a little while and they have already made webs. And I have not seen them eat so they are probably close to a molt. thats my assumption on it. we will see how it goes from there.