Tropical old world tarantulas

cold blood

Staff member

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
irminia can be exceedingly defensive, theyre also very reclusive...the most reclusive and defensive species in the genus....cambridgei is the least reclusive and probably least defensive member of the genus....which is why its the species i suggest....if one wants to learn from a species, it helps one to be able to observe that species along the way.

Irminua are probably in the top 5, if not top 3 most defensive species around, right there with Phormictipus.
What would you say are the other three? Theraphosa? E. murinus? A. chalcodes? 😉

edit: don't know how I did that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Danthevine4432

Arachnosquire

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
s it very defensive? And is it male or female?
I have a female that I raised from a sling and the only time I've seen her throw up a threat posture is when she's been backed into a corner. As for their reclusiveness, flip a coin, I see mine out daily unless she's in pre-moult, others claim they don't see theirs for months at a time.

Do they eat crickets ?
Yes.

Are they readily available online?
Yeah, cambridgei are so common they're often sold for peanuts or given away as freebies, irminia are pretty much always available, pulcher are pretty easy to get as well.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
& that's fine, I'm not disagreeing with you in that aspect. It's not the fact you think it can't be answered, it's the manner in which you speak to people. There's no reason for it. It's disgusting.
Oh...well rewrite my answer, let me see what you would have writen- I'm willing to listen always.

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Hey I rethought what I said I ll stay 😅
Good. You received some very good information here in this post, even from viper. This is the best place to find information. I hope you stick around and avail yourself of the wealth of invert knowledge that is here.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Watch Tom's Big Spiders on youtube and maybe even have a listen to his podcast which is also on youtube and look into the Tom's Big Spiders blog. :)

Danthevine4432

Arachnosquire
Watch Tom's Big Spiders on youtube and maybe even have a listen to his podcast which is also on youtube and look into the Tom's Big Spiders blog. :)
I ll look into it tomorrow I just have a serious Fascination with tarantulas. Here’s a little fact about me. Before I got my first green blue bottle tarantula I was afraid of spiders. But now I’m the total opposite of afraid.

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
I ll look into it tomorrow I just have a serious Fascination with tarantulas. Here’s a little fact about me. Before I got my first green blue bottle tarantula I was afraid of spiders. But now I’m the total opposite of afraid.
LoL, I've never been AFRAID of spiders, but alarms would go off if one caught me by surprise. I had a dream just about a week ago where I had a large spider on my arm, & we were somehow good friends. Ever since, I've had more than a small infatuation with them myself. Funny how the mind works.

EtienneN gave you some solid advice there too, with regards to that "Tom's Big Spiders." Between this place & his videos, you've truly got a wealth of top-notch info on the subject.

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree I need experience at least a little bit more. But you don’t have to be rude you really are obnoxious. You don’t even know me yet you go off being so rude bro. I don’t appreciate that you really are obnoxious I am no longer responding to you Nor you’re absolutely atrocious attitude towards a newbie. It’s people like you that drive away the ones that really want to get into the Hobby. I agree I need experience at least a little bit more. But you don’t have to be rude you really are obnoxious. You don’t even know me yet you go off being so rude bro. I don’t appreciate that you really are obnoxious I am no longer responding to you Nor you’re absolutely atrocious attitude towards a newbie. It’s people like you that drive away the ones that really want to get into the Hobbie..
There are only a few rude / condescending ones on here, mate. You just had a "welcome to arachnoboard" moment I guess.
This forum unfortunately is still the go-to for T keepers so you just have to try to ignore those few and focus on the nicer folks. Some people have been keeping T's for so long that they forgot they were once beginners who had no effing clue. Sure, there are some silly questions that keep on getting asked but that's not a justification for being rude and turn new keepers away.

Danthevine4432

Arachnosquire
LoL, I've never been AFRAID of spiders, but alarms would go off if one caught me by surprise. I had a dream just about a week ago where I had a large spider on my arm, & we were somehow good friends. Ever since, I've had more than a small infatuation with them myself. Funny how the mind works.

EtienneN gave you some solid advice there too, with regards to that "Tom's Big Spiders." Between this place & his videos, you've truly got a wealth of top-notch info on the subject.
That is a interesting dream. And also I don’t doubt it for a minute that between the YouTube channel that I was looking at and I woke up this morning and here. I don’t doubt it for a minute that’s an extremely large wealth of information. I want to learn. And I want to grow as a keeper.

There are only a few rude / condescending ones on here, mate. You just had a "welcome to arachnoboard" moment I guess.
This forum unfortunately is still the go-to for T keepers so you just have to try to ignore those few and focus on the nicer folks. Some people have been keeping T's for so long that they forgot they were once beginners who had no effing clue. Sure, there are some silly questions that keep on getting asked but that's not a justification for being rude and turn new keepers away.
Yeah I agree with what you say. I totally agree. But I’m going to ask questions even if it seems silly or stupid. I just want to learn and grow and become a better keeper.

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Yeah I agree with what you say. I totally agree. But I’m going to ask questions even if it seems silly or stupid. I just want to learn and grow and become a better keeper.
You know, that is actually a rather poor attitude. It would be much better if you actually put some thought into your questions instead of asking silly or stupid questions willy-nilly. It shows you are serious and also shows your respect for the people you are asking help from. We all want to help new keepers, but at least try and meet us half way.

Danthevine4432

Arachnosquire
You know, that is actually a rather poor attitude. It would be much better if you actually put some thought into your questions instead of asking silly or stupid questions willy-nilly. It shows you are serious and also shows your respect for the people you are asking help from. We all want to help new keepers, but at least try and meet us half way.
You know I m not going to even justify you with a response I do the best I can to try to communicate what I m asking if that’s not good enough for you because of my disabilities then it’s not my issue 😃

Ps I don’t expect special treatment from anyone 😃

Last edited:

Danthevine4432

Arachnosquire
And you shouldnt, but it can happen....feel free to use the private message system if need be, my inbox is never full.
I never ever anywhere I go or anyone I talk to you I never expect special treatment from anybody. It would never be right and it would really look bad so I never expected. But I am just looking to become a good tarantula or even invertebrate owner

basin79

ArachnoGod
I never ever anywhere I go or anyone I talk to you I never expect special treatment from anybody. It would never be right and it would really look bad so I never expected. But I am just looking to become a good tarantula or even invertebrate owner
Well you're in the best place to learn to be a great tarantula owner. @viper69 wants the very best for any potential tarantula you own. Now re-read that sentence. So whilst you might not like the delivery swallow your pride and take the knowledge. Personally I like the no nonsense cut to the chase approach. Advice is given for free but still takes time.

Danthevine4432

Arachnosquire
Well you're in the best place to learn to be a great tarantula owner. @viper69 wants the very best for any potential tarantula you own. Now re-read that sentence. So whilst you might not like the delivery swallow your pride and take the knowledge. Personally I like the no nonsense cut to the chase approach. Advice is given for free but still takes time.
Well I won’t ask any more questions I will just read and learn

basin79

ArachnoGod
Well I won’t ask any more questions I will just read and learn
Not sure why you won't ask more questions but that's up to you. Questions are invaluable to receive the answers. Although if you do try and search first (even on Google as this place comes up) to see if your question might have already been asked and answered.