Tropical old world tarantulas

Danthevine4432

Arachnosquire
Hey Guys. I have a question. What’s the best old world tropical tarantula? Because I’m in the market soon to get another tarantula and I’d like to have opinions from people who have owned them.

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
If you can get your hands on one I’ve always enjoyed poecilotheria. Beautiful and depending on the individual can frequently be seen in the open. Most other species Ive had were holes or webbed up everything

Danthevine4432

Arachnosquire
If you can get your hands on one I’ve always enjoyed poecilotheria. Beautiful and depending on the individual can frequently be seen in the open. Most other species Ive had were holes or webbed up everything
Is it extremely aggressive? I don’t mind aggressive tarantulas because I love old worlds. What are its colors in terms of its carapace?

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
I’ve never had an aggressive one. I’ve had regalis, rufilata, Formosa, Metallica and they were all pretty skittish I’d say. Most were pretty manageable to get rehoused etc. Like most arboreals they can move quick that’s the only thing I found difficult to deal with. All have different coloration but the only one you can easily get rn is regalis which is cream/white/black with a beautiful pattern. Other species have to be bought in your state due to recent restriction.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
There's not such thing as an 'aggressive' tarantula. Only varying levels of defensiveness. Why does it have to be tropical? I'd go with an African species like Harpactira pulchripes if you are looking for a pretty OW that's a good starter. What OWs do you own already?

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is it extremely aggressive? I don’t mind aggressive tarantulas because I love old worlds. What are its colors in terms of its carapace?
I would not consider any T aggressive, in the sense that it intentionally inflicts harm, with the OBT being the borderline exception.
It's more appropriately call defensive - it's holding its ground against the disturbance and attacking only as a last resort.

In the scale of defensiveness, with OBT on one end and Aphonopelma pet rock on the other end, Pokies would be kinda just above average.
Running away is its first course of action. Then if you still push it then it would threat pose. More pushing and it would usually slap (fake bite).
You have to corner it pretty hard for a Pokie to bite but note that Pokie venom is considered among the worst of all the T's so don't push it.

If you are in the US, do research what species are allowed to be traded.
I'm somewhat happy that I don't live in the US (anymore) and I'm a Pokie fanatic. But then I need a permit to keep Death stalker scorpions but I shouldn't complain.

If you think you life is too boring and want constant fear every time you change the water dish, get a Thailand Black (Cyriopagopus minax). That one goes to the same biting school as the OBT.

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
How many T’s have you kept prior to this? If this is your first O/W I’d suggest an African sp. to get used to O/W behaviour beforehand.

As previously stated there are no agressive tarantulas, only defensive. With stuff like poecilotheria you want to worry more about the speed and unpredictability coupled with temperament and venom. Not just the T throwing you a threat pose every once in a while...

Danthevine4432

Arachnosquire
How many T’s have you kept prior to this? If this is your first O/W I’d suggest an African sp. to get used to O/W behaviour beforehand.

As previously stated there are no agressive tarantulas, only defensive. With stuff like poecilotheria you want to worry more about the speed and unpredictability coupled with temperament and venom. Not just the T throwing you a threat pose every once in a while...
I have had a single green blue bottle tarantula...but I want a old world they seem more challenging to take care of

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
Do your research on housing requirements and I think most species are fairly manageable if you raise them from a sling so it’s not as intimidating.

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
Not at all really I’ve seen some slings throw up a threat posture but only online and very rarely. Slings are very skittish and will pretty much alway bolt for a dark hiding place. The main concern with slings is the fact that some are fast and they’re also delicate do you gotta be careful how you catch one if it gets away from you.

Danthevine4432

Arachnosquire
Not at all really I’ve seen some slings throw up a threat posture but only online and very rarely. Slings are very skittish and will pretty much alway bolt for a dark hiding place. The main concern with slings is the fact that some are fast and they’re also delicate do you gotta be careful how you catch one if it gets away from you.
OK I have to do some research as people were suggesting ...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What’s the best old world tropical tarantula?
This is a question which makes zero sense. I'm shocked anyone asks this question because it's a stupid question. It tells the reader absolutely NOTHING.best for WHAT????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Is it extremely aggressive?
No tarantula is.

I have had a single green blue bottle tarantula...but I want a old world they seem more challenging to take care of
You should take on the ladder system. Based on your experience.

With slings ... are they still defensive ?
YES many are.

OK I have to do some research as people were suggesting ...
You need experience.

Danthevine4432

Arachnosquire
This is a question which makes zero sense. I'm shocked anyone asks this question because it's a stupid question. It tells the reader absolutely NOTHING.best for WHAT????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

No tarantula is.

You should take on the ladder system. Based on your experience.

YES many are.

You need experience.
All right then what would you suggest as a intermediate tarantula then? Like as he said he suggests I climb the experience ladder so what would be a good intermediate tarantula then?

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
Get what interests you and you think you can handle. That’s for no one else to decide. Especially condescending people who troll a site looking for every little thing they can attack

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
All right then what would you suggest as a intermediate tarantula then? Like as he said he suggests I climb the experience ladder so what would be a good intermediate tarantula then?
If one would do the ladder system this is reasonable considering what you have. Arboreal/slow Avics (cuz if you can't handle slow one, you can't handle a fast one), aboreal fast (any Tapi will do these are widely regarded as the fastest by many)>Psalmo (venom more potent it's believed for a NW)>OW terrestrial)> such as Ceratogyrus genus- you can't handle that you can't handle anything else basically.> OW arboreal (many to chose from, Poki is a good start as they are not as high strung generally than some of the Far East species.+

And there's one thing to all of this. One doesn't have experience by owning 40 slings. You gain experience by dealing w/the animal at all stages of its life cycle, not just when they are small and EASY to deal with. I'm sick of people coming on here saying they have all this experience when collect slings like Skittles and after a bit think they are ready for the big time. Generally speaking many aren't.

Owning OWs is neither a badge of honor nor some passage to enlightenment. Never owning them doesn't mean one is any less of a good keeper than one who does own them.

look up ladder system here.

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
Get a mystery box, & take the thinking right out of it...

Last edited by a moderator:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
From a keeper with limeted experience i would suggest you keep several NW tarantulas before you consider any OW tarantulas. A good first OW tarantula would be something like a P lugarde or M balfouri. Those are generally less defenssive and bolty than most other OW tarantulas. A Poecilotheria in the "hands" of a inexperienced keeper could be an invitation to disaster