Trip to Khao Sok National Park, Thailand.

AlanMM

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
On a trip to Khao Sok National Park in Thailand I saw this species of tarantula.
I think they may be Coremiocnemis species. Anyone has an idea on this what subspecies it may be? Coremiocnemis normally comes from Malaysia, but Khao Sok is situated close to the Malaysian border (+/- 150 km/100 miles).

Burrow:

Spiders:

Last edited:

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i don't know what it is but i want it!

i'm planning on going to thailand next year, is this park anywhere near bangkok?

LovePets

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
OMG,this is one of the most beautiful spiders I've ever seen. :eek:
Nice trip :D

AlanMM

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i don't know what it is but i want it!

i'm planning on going to thailand next year, is this park anywhere near bangkok?
No, that park is far from Bangkok. The park is in the south near the Malaysian border.

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
we were also planning on spending some time in phuket... i guess i'll have to do some research before i go. were they difficult to find? or all over the place?

Scourge

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Very nice species! I would think that it might be Chilobrachys sp.

AlanMM

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Also these ones:

Scolopendra subspinipes (20 - 25cm):

And a Scutigera sp. (big one, 18 cm)

AlanMM

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think they may be Coremiocnemis species. Anyone has an idea on this what subspecies it may be? Coremiocnemis normally comes from Malaysia, but Khao Sok is situated close to the Malaysian border (+/- 150 km/100 miles).
Ok, thanks to Dr. John I now know this tarantula is a Chilobrachys sp.

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I love those Heteropoda davidbowies and that Chilobrachys sp. is gorgeous! The Scutigera sp. on the other hand is one of my worst nightmares. :cool:

AlanMM

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have seen H. davidbowie in the hobby... here in Europe... but rarely.

Phalagorn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice pictures and a very interesting Chilobrachys sp. you found.

I along with my team will travel down to Thailand for the third consecutive year,
We have organized expeditions to Thailand in search of new species of tarantulas and other invertebrates.
This gathering of samples (to send to taxonomist if it turns out to be some new species), to launch various breeding projects and adding new species to the hobby.
Images from our projects, you can see on our website: http://kryp.smugmug.com/Travels

I wonder if you would like to tell us more about Chilobrachys sp. you found? Were in Khao Sok National Park did you find it?, I guess you went through the main entrance Headquarter, but which trail you went through the national park? Do you have any more precise localities to share?

If you do not want to answer here on the forum in public, you can either send a private message or an e-mail to me.

Grateful for answers

/Best regards, Stefan Phalagorn Bergström
www.kryp.smugmug.com

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
so you have collecting and export permits to collect in a national park?

could you share how one goes about in getting one? i would like to collect samples too next year!

Phalagorn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
so you have collecting and export permits to collect in a national park?

could you share how one goes about in getting one? i would like to collect samples too next year!
Hello Eddy

Yes we have, I can share some information for you how to get permits. it's fairly easy to get the export permit, but it's take time. The permit are valid 6 months.

But it´s more tricky to get the collecting permits for National Parks, Wildlife Sanctuaries or Non-hunting areas. You must have some relation to researchers, professors or similar. Or other good connections with the locals, Im half Thai and I can speak the language, which helped me a lot.

I can send you all the information how to get permits if you in return helps me with interesting tarantula localities in Thailand. ;)

Elleken

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Man I am jealous of your trips Phalagorn. They look like you had some amazing times. I would love to be able to do that.