trip pics etc

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How do those burrows maintain they're shape like that? Very interesting.
The soil holds the shape together just fine. The soil forms a slightly hard crust on to, easily broken though by walking on it. Underneath there is some water in the soil even in the middle of summer, enough to stop the sand from becoming liqiuid like so that it holds together.

However I found a sand burrowing skink who thought differently. He would just disappear into the sand as if it was water....quite amazing to watch. This was in a different area where the sand was a bit looser on top, but still had scorpion burrows. I was trying to photograph the skink when it would just vanish below the sand in a flash....never seen anything like it. It only has two back legs, no front legs and only has two toes on each foot. The nose is shovel like. Second image is of the area the skink was found in. Scorpions plentiful here were Urodacus armatus, Urodacus yaschenkoi and Lychas buchari. The area is also known to have Australobuthus xerolimniorum, but unfortunately did not find any. That's not me on the truck.....:)

And this gecko lives in the same dunes.....

Last edited:

Aillith

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Australobuthus xerolimniorum?
Ever seen any of them before Mark?

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Australobuthus xerolimniorum?
Ever seen any of them before Mark?
Only dead specimens shown to me by the fellow who described the species. They are meant to have mostly been found on the salt lake surfaces. Better luck come spring when I try again.