Trinidad dwarf tiger set up.

KitsInvertsVa

Arachnopeon
I'm getting one of these soon, I know what they need to for care, I have a little tub probably 5L 3W 3Deep so she should have some digging room but i was also thinking a exo terra 12x 12x 12 enclosure so it could have all the room it ever needed. Is this a ok set up for it including hanging leaves, a hide and water dish.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
It depends on what life stage it's in, but these are really tiny. Keep however you'd keep any other sling. Slightly moist sub with a water dish and something to hide under. They can go most of their lives in a deli cup, you'll probably never need somehting12x12x12 for this species.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
What is a Trinidad Dwarf Tiger? The use of common names is extremely problematic. Using the proper scientific name is not as difficult as people make it out to be. Most scientific names are easily pronounced and very few are phonetically challenging. Nobody cares if you are pronouncing them 100% correctly, only that you use them. And people can't hear you on a forum, anyway.
Please use the scientific names.

KitsInvertsVa

Arachnopeon
It full grown by the time i buy it, currently 12x12x12 is all i have so that's probably what ill use anyway.

cryriocomus elegans

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
It full grown by the time i buy it, currently 12x12x12 is all i have so that's probably what ill use anyway.
Then why are you even posting here if you've already made a decision? Agree with @Vanessa that you should use scientific names. I'm guessing you mean Cyriocosmus Elegans, but the screen in those exoterra lids is dangerous for your tarantulas feet. You can put plexiglass up there instead, but it's still going to be more room than you need if is is a C elegans.

KitsInvertsVa

Arachnopeon
I can put a natural ish barrier so it cannot climb past around a inch on the glass which the barrier is olive oil that i use for my ants.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I can put a natural ish barrier so it cannot climb past around a inch on the glass which the barrier is olive oil that i use for my ants.
Please do not put olive oil in with your spider. Just use a smaller container. You can get something that would work perfect for this species for $1 at the dollar store

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I'm getting one of these soon, I know what they need to for care, I have a little tub probably 5L 3W 3Deep so she should have some digging room but i was also thinking a exo terra 12x 12x 12 enclosure so it could have all the room it ever needed. Is this a ok set up for it including hanging leaves, a hide and water dish.
A 12x12x12 is FAR too large, even for an adult. Exo-terra front opening enclosures are never appropriate for terrestrial/fossorial species.

KitsInvertsVa

Arachnopeon
I was thinking of doing a filled up to the door in the front and basically like a hill in the back, I understand if it is to large maybe I'll find something smaller at walmart.
ouuuu i did see a vase type thing at walmart but it had an aluminum lid or metal lid and it was glass, Would i just need holes in the top or is that set up not good.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I was thinking of doing a filled up to the door in the front and basically like a hill in the back, I understand if it is to large maybe I'll find something smaller at walmart.
ouuuu i did see a vase type thing at walmart but it had an aluminum lid or metal lid and it was glass, Would i just need holes in the top or is that set up not good.
Cross ventilation will be necessary

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I was thinking of doing a filled up to the door in the front and basically like a hill in the back
That is not good enough and it is still a fall risk, even for a larger tarantula. You can only put about 2" of substrate at the front, maximum. That means that if they climb the front doors, or on the sides near the doors, they have a 10" fall to the substrate. For a dwarf Cyriocosmus species, who only gets to be about 2" full grown, that is a substantial drop and could result in an injury that can cause death. For any tarantula it is unacceptable.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Echo Vanessa‘s feedback. This is a dwarf species maybe hitting around 2” matured so you will want something a lot smaller with more width than height. I wouldn’t go super crazy with enclosure size, it’s a waste and the T won‘t necessarily appreciate it. If your looking for display quality and don’t want to make your own you could try Herpcult. I wouldn’t do anything bigger than 8(L)x6(w)x4(h) which is their small flat model and spacious for a T this size.

KitsInvertsVa

Arachnopeon
Is coco fiber god for these because I’m really on a budget and can’t buy much so is coconut fiber good substrate for these packed down.