Trinidad Chevron or Venezuelan Suntiger

zmc34

Arachnopeon
Hello all, I am interested in purchasing either a T. Chevron or a V. Suntiger. I have a really nice 40 gallon rainforest tank that has excellent humidity control. I would like to hear any opinions regarding these species. Activity, feeding, and visibility are all important factors.:?

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well a 40 gallon tank is going to be way too large for either one of those two species. If you get a tank too large it can actually hurt the T.

Natemass

Arachnolord
Old Timer
with that size tank id go with herps and not ts but both of those ts are amazing looking

secular

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello all, I am interested in purchasing either a T. Chevron or a V. Suntiger. I have a really nice 40 gallon rainforest tank that has excellent humidity control. I would like to hear any opinions regarding these species. Activity, feeding, and visibility are all important factors.:?
the 40gal most definitely is overkill, but as for the T's... my P. cambridgei (Chevron) is still just a sling so my experience is limited there. i have a P. irminia (Suntiger) as well; this one is nearing adulthood. my irminia basically never leaves it's web, and i rarely see it do much of anything (including eat, though it most certainly does). a stunning spider when it is visible though. others have had similar remarks, concerning the species though not all. your mileage may vary... i say just get both, the cambridgei sling i just picked up for $10. ;)

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well a 40 gallon tank is going to be way too large for either one of those two species. If you get a tank too large it can actually hurt the T.
Which is why you'll never, ever see tarantulas in the wild. It's just way too spacious for them to thrive. :D {D

Yeah, a 40 gallon might be overkill but it could work for an adult of either species. Good luck ever finding the spider though.

I'm one of those weirdos who would probably throw two or three tarantulas in something that big, though I don't recommend you try it.

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My first tarantulas were a pair of Trinidad Chevrons that I raised from spiderlings. I highly recommend them. They're very hardy and grow like lightning. Unfortunately they also move like lightning when they want to, but this was never too much of a problem for me. Also, I've heard that they can be aggressive, but I never noticed too much of that either.
Feeding: yes, they feed. :) Voraciously.
Visibility: Hmm... so-so. I don't remember them being as much pet holes as some Ts I have now. I'd have to agree with everyone else that you'd have more problems seeing it in a 40gal. :)

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
well, the irmina is more beautiful (imo!) - but you'll virtually never see her, especially in a tank that size. what about crested geckos or poison dart frogs? they'd do very well in there and you'll definitely see them more often.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I keep both of these. To me, irminia seem more defensive than cambridgei. P.cambridgei also seem to grow faster, get bigger, and be more hardy as juveniles. Why do you almost never see P.c offered except as spiderlings? I don't know, but maybe it's because people keep them for good :)

I would go for P.c, they tend to pack less substrate into the webbing, but still enjoy a tube bark. Either way, a 40 gallon container is ridiculous for either species

stk5m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just got a new suntiger today and she is beautiful. Havn't seen much of her though as she likes to hide in the plants.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Does it have to be these two species?

I am thinking an adult T blondi!

MUAHahahaha!

stk5m

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just got to watch the suntiger hunt and it was sweeet {D {D !!! just dropped off the side of the cage when I dropped the cricket in and pounced on it :clap: :clap: !!! I was amazed.

Binky/Carol

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You also need to take into account the amount of webbing that each species does.
The Cambridgei are heavy webbers. Even if you put them in the huge enclosure, you won't see them as much AND you will see a lot of webbing.

You might ask folks about the Poec species. I have heard some folks have been able to keep T's from the same egg sac as a colony. You might see if 3-4 pokies could live in harmony in your tropical tank.
Just a thought..