Tri Colour Scorpion

Whitehead

Arachnopeon
Hi there...

I just recently found a tri colour scorpion on our farm outside Bela-Bela (South Africa) and decided to keep it as a pet as I already have a curly hair tarantula.

I wanted to know how long does this particular species live? This one is about 10-12cm's in length from the tip of it's tail to it's extended pinchers so I presume it's reached adulthood, but I'm new in the scorpion department and would really like some advice and pointers please!

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
these guys are a little more venomous and aggressive than emperor scorpions (from the little i've heard), and they love to burrow and keep dens. offering it 4 inches or more of substrate would make it a happy scorpion

google.com should have plenty of information. they arent a rare species, so you could easily find something

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Opisthopthalmus species have a relatively long life span. They reach over 5 years and maybe even 8-10.....Buthids are my specialty, so someone with more experience with these guys, could tell you more, or confirm my suspicion (or not, lol)...

Whitehead

Arachnopeon
I've noticed that this guy is kinda agro... it's really cool when it makes that 'hissing'-sound if it gets startled or goes into 'attack mode'! lol Can some-one please tell me how long it will take the scorp to burrow a new tunnel? I got it a new tank yesterday with about 4inches of dirt, but it just sits there in the corner...

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's a weird question dude. What do you think? That we lay around with the desert with stopwatches and subterrainean camera's? :D

Provide a hide, like stones or cork bark, and it will start digging under those kind of items...It can also take time to adjust for the scorpion....

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's a weird question dude. What do you think? That we lay around with the desert with stopwatches and subterrainean camera's? :D
I thought everybody on AB did this...I guess it's just me?(jokeing:D)

On a more serious note,When I had mine,she took a few days before burrowing.Get ready for a pet hole.I rarely saw mine...

Whitehead

Arachnopeon
Thanx for the second answer which is more factual and less sarcastic... anyhow... I see it's moving around alot against the sides of the tank... but there is lots of rocks in there for it to hide under, but it doesn't want to... its propably still adapting...

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanx for the second answer which is more factual and less sarcastic... anyhow... I see it's moving around alot against the sides of the tank... but there is lots of rocks in there for it to hide under, but it doesn't want to... its propably still adapting...
Boohoo, I was just joking, lighten up ;)....Factual you say, ONE person gives ONE example and you are talking about facts? A few days is a vague term and also not very FACTUAl....

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Don't worry, it is sarcasm with good intentions! :razz:
As for the burrowing, it will depend on the scorpion. Some of mine go straight to it while others have spent months above ground, under hides. If you want to increase likelihood of burrowing, give it more substrate to play with and start a pre-burrow by digging a groove under a hide. Like I said, sometimes they're content staying under those open dome hides, but if you provide a hide (ie driftwood) with a flat bottom and then dig a pre-burrow under it, the scorp might just use it. I usually get mine to start digging that way and in the location I want, too. Good luck.

Whitehead

Arachnopeon
I also wasn't serious on that other thread, just a little innocent banter I suppose... I saw the scorpion started digging a hide... when I woke up this morning I saw it sitting halfway inside it... When I came home tonight I saw it wandering around the cage, so Im really glad it's not inside that hide the whole time... How much can I feed this scorpion and are scorpions the same compared to tarantulas when it comes to feeding and molting?? Like when it's near a molt will it stop eating??

---------- Post added 01-15-2011 at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was 01-14-2011 at 11:50 PM ----------

I jt wanted to add but I forgot, thanx for all the responses... It really is nice to read from guys that have experience when it comes to this kind of pet... :clap:

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I also wasn't serious on that other thread, just a little innocent banter I suppose... I saw the scorpion started digging a hide... when I woke up this morning I saw it sitting halfway inside it... When I came home tonight I saw it wandering around the cage, so Im really glad it's not inside that hide the whole time... How much can I feed this scorpion and are scorpions the same compared to tarantulas when it comes to feeding and molting?? Like when it's near a molt will it stop eating??

---------- Post added 01-15-2011 at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was 01-14-2011 at 11:50 PM ----------

I jt wanted to add but I forgot, thanx for all the responses... It really is nice to read from guys that have experience when it comes to this kind of pet... :clap:
:) It is comparable, you can feed the scorp 1-2 prey items each week. It will stop feeding when it is near a molt. Scorpions, both sexes, have a final molt, after which they are mature. Female tarantula's keep molting throughout their lives, at least G.rosea does....