Traveling with tarantula

alezwander

Arachnopeon
I am taking a 3 day car ride with my curly hair who has molted recently and has trapped themselves in their hide, I was wondering how I should go about handling it (like taking it out of the hide removing the decor etc.) to travel with it if I am keeping it in its normal enclosure.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Leave it be if it had just molted. Why do you feel you need to change it just because the enclosure is going to be moved? And why does it need to go in the car at all with you?

Dorifto

He who moists xD
It's a holiday road trip or is a permanent move? If it's a holiday trip leave it in the house, even for some weeks she will be ok.

Give her a water source, moist the substrate and she will be fine.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
If the tarantula absolutely has to go with you (ex moving etc), it can be done in the enclosure if ALL of the cork, plants, rocks, wood etc are COMPLETELY secure and won't move if you have to brake hard. The safest bet is to place the T in a deli cup in the enclosure. With a recent molt, that complicates the matter quite a bit more and adds risk. Ideally, you'll want at least one meal in them to replenish their water reserves before the stress of transportation. If this isn't possible due to time constraints, I'd fully package the T for shipping (moist paper towels forming a protective cocoon in the deli) to limit moisture loss, provide some padding for the ride, and decrease stress in a dark environment.

jc55

Arachnoknight
I have moved several times and just make sure the tarantalas enclosure is secure and not in a position to be bounced around or in direct sunlight and it has been fine with no issues.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
I would wrap it up like I was shipping it! If the journey is less than 30 minutes, I would leave the spider and put the terrarium on the passenger seat.

alezwander

Arachnopeon
If the tarantula absolutely has to go with you (ex moving etc), it can be done in the enclosure if ALL of the cork, plants, rocks, wood etc are COMPLETELY secure and won't move if you have to brake hard. The safest bet is to place the T in a deli cup in the enclosure. With a recent molt, that complicates the matter quite a bit more and adds risk. Ideally, you'll want at least one meal in them to replenish their water reserves before the stress of transportation. If this isn't possible due to time constraints, I'd fully package the T for shipping (moist paper towels forming a protective cocoon in the deli) to limit moisture loss, provide some padding for the ride, and decrease stress in a dark environment.
got it although the one thing i’m worried about is taking it out of the hide when it’s blocked itself in

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Make sure you have A/C and pack PROPERLY, otherwise your T will die.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
when i moved with mine i just put it into a small dsl sized vented tupper ware container with a bit of sub then made the move at night and held it the whole trip to my new location. so the container couldnt roll or slide about during the car ride but in this heat on a 3 day trip your gonna need to take more caution i would assume like letting the car cool down inside each time before you begin travel again dont think the t would enjoy it much going from a room with ac runnin to a hot baking car. good luck on your trip hopefully its just a one way trip and not one your taking the t along just for the ride only.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
it’s a permanent move lol
Ok! It sounded like holidays 😂

In that case place her in a smaller enclosure without any kind of decorations. If you leave it in the original enclosure there is the possibility of collapses etc.