Traveling with Tarantula from Europe to USA

tommyno

Arachnopeon
I'm a proud owner of beautiful adult female Cyriopagopus hainanus. The problem is that I will be moving from Europe to USA and I would like to bring her with me. I've contacted few airlines and there is no way I could take my spider on board. So I'm thinking to pack it well and put in my checked luggage. I did my research and it seems that it is safe for the spider. Given the mass of the luggages in airplane belly, the temperature shouldn't drop extremely. The spider will be in the middle of large suitcase surrounded with a lot of clothes. My question is, did anyone tried it ? Share your story. Thanks

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I'm a proud owner of beautiful adult female Cyriopagopus hainanus. The problem is that I will be moving from Europe to USA and I would like to bring her with me. I've contacted few airlines and there is no way I could take my spider on board. So I'm thinking to pack it well and put in my checked luggage. I did my research and it seems that it is safe for the spider. Given the mass of the luggages in airplane belly, the temperature shouldn't drop extremely. The spider will be in the middle of large suitcase surrounded with a lot of clothes. My question is, did anyone tried it ? Share your story. Thanks
Bad idea....if customs find it they will confiscate it and you could be facing legal issues....serious ones.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
That is considered illegal. You're going to have to get import and export licenses to allow for legal transportation of tarantulas or any exotic pet. It's going to costs a lot of money and a lot of time to do so.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
It would be easier to get a new one here but you might be able to work something out with a licensed importer. It would be expensive though

8 legged

Arachnoprince
There are European traders who export. I would make an enquiry. Furthermore, authorities do you no harm if you ask...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Some people get arrested

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
You may not be aware, but what you are describing is smuggling, which is illegal. We DO NOT allow the promoting of any illegal activity.

My advice, either do it the legal way, or do not do it at all.

Not only are you risking the health and safety of your animal, you are risking bringing more bad rep to the hobby. A hobby that already gets enough negative exposure as it is. With politicians looking to put a permanent end to this hobby, why do anything that will aid their mission?

tommyno

Arachnopeon
I decided to sell the spider. thank you for all the answers

Also my question was related to the actual transport of the spider with airline and its safety. As far as custom clearance I spoke with U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and they gave me all the paperwork needed to fill out and the related fees. They assured me that since I wanted to transport a single animal (my pet) and didn't want to sell it later, I don't need an import license. So my intention wasn't illegally smuggling.

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
Also my question was related to the actual transport of the spider with airline and its safety. As far as custom clearance I spoke with U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and they gave me all the paperwork needed to fill out and the related fees. They assured me that since I wanted to transport a single animal (my pet) and didn't want to sell it later, I don't need an import license. So my intention wasn't illegally smuggling.
Do you still have that paperwork by any chance (to avoid any legal troubles)? Just in case you decide not to sell your T after all.

pocock1899

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I work in International Import/Export at a major shipping port, and I've never seen anyone ship in a single, live spider. That's not to say that you couldn't do it, but there's a reason that most people don't do it. It's pretty darn expensive, and there is always a significant risk of something going wrong. A wrong date, a missing piece of paperwork, a misspelled name, etc. Any of those things can stop a shipment and end up with the seizure or destruction of the spider. It's complicated and the results of a mistake can be permanent. On top of the actual shipping, insurance, and brokerage fees, there is a $93 inspection fee from US Fish and Wildlife. They also require a 48hr notice of shipment so that they can schedule the inspection. They give live animals priority, so they want to know when to plan on them being here. All told, depending on where the spider is coming from, and how it's shipped, it could be upwards of $700 or significantly more, to ship a single spider. The price only goes up a couple hundred dollars if you want to get a commercial license and decide to ship in a thousand spiders. That's why importers try to arrange big shipments whenever they can. It means that the cost per spider is much lower.

And just as an FYI, smuggling can bring some pretty serious complications. For one thing, it's a felony, and it can also put you on the no-fly list indefinitely. If you do ever fly again, you can count on spending a few hours after every flight while Customs goes through your luggage, carryon and like the clothes you are wearing. They don't have any sense of humor about that stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
too bad it isn't a couple years ago. You could have tried 'emotional support T"

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Out of all the type of animals people tried getting on a plane with as an emotional support animal I'm surprised I never heard of anyone doing it with a tarantula. Haha

JDS123

Arachnosquire
remember the part in Pulp Fiction where Christopher Walken talks about smuggling the watch in his booty? Dont try that anyways.

tommyno

Arachnopeon
I work in International Import/Export at a major shipping port, and I've never seen anyone ship in a single, live spider. That's not to say that you couldn't do it, but there's a reason that most people don't do it. It's pretty darn expensive, and there is always a significant risk of something going wrong. A wrong date, a missing piece of paperwork, a misspelled name, etc. Any of those things can stop a shipment and end up with the seizure or destruction of the spider. It's complicated and the results of a mistake can be permanent. On top of the actual shipping, insurance, and brokerage fees, there is a $93 inspection fee from US Fish and Wildlife. They also require a 48hr notice of shipment so that they can schedule the inspection. They give live animals priority, so they want to know when to plan on them being here. All told, depending on where the spider is coming from, and how it's shipped, it could be upwards of $700 or significantly more, to ship a single spider. The price only goes up a couple hundred dollars if you want to get a commercial license and decide to ship in a thousand spiders. That's why importers try to arrange big shipments whenever they can. It means that the cost per spider is much lower.

And just as an FYI, smuggling can bring some pretty serious complications. For one thing, it's a felony, and it can also put you on the no-fly list indefinitely. If you do ever fly again, you can count on spending a few hours after every flight while Customs goes through your luggage, carryon and like the clothes you are wearing. They don't have any sense of humor about that stuff.
Thank you for your detailed reply.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Out of all the type of animals people tried getting on a plane with as an emotional support animal I'm surprised I never heard of anyone doing it with a tarantula. Haha
I thought about trying it for giggles
"Look, if I stay calm, and everyone stays calm, the big scary spider stays calm, OKAY?'