Trapdoor video (Gorgyrella sp.)

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Very cool man. Glad she is still with you. She actually seemed slower than my Gorgyrella red girl. Mine is so fast that you almost can't tell it happened.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Got my hands on a cheap 120fps point and shoot, and fortunately the spider was up for a snack. It looks like the meal almost gets away this time, but she reels it in anyway. Clip here :)
Nice! Really cool to see that clip in slow motion.

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nice Vid Dan; I enjoyed the slow motion of the actual nab it shows their movements and tatics wonderfully Out of curiosity, do you have an ambient temp of her enclosure? it may help explain the longjevity (Beyond their nature) and feeding schedual? Im not quite sure on the life span of these animals, so the data helps for those wondering.

danfekar

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

I keep her at room temp, usually between 63 and 75 ºF depending on the season. Two years ago she had several days in a temp of around 50 ºF when my central heating failed during a vacation. Definitely a hardy species :)

I have no idea about the lifespan of this species, and I'm not even sure about the genus. It bought it as a Stasimopus robertsi but Gorgyrella was suggested by several board members on Arachnoboards, solely based on pictures. Still looking for a good key, or anyone with experience in identifying these critters.

Last edited:

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I had a black female that a buddy had for 5 years, and then i got her. She needed to be rehoused, and i dug her up, and rehoused her. She wouldnt reborrow. She just sat around and died. But he told me 5 years was a long time for a true spider. Im not 100% on my black or my red species either too. Gorgyrella was what mine was best guessed at also. My red girl eats pretty decently, usually once a week to once every two weeks. My black has eaten once in the last 6 months.

danfekar

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They're not true spiders, but mygalomorphs (like tarantulas). Therefore a longer lifespan is not surprising, but just how long is anyones guess.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hmm i guess i never really understood the meaning of mygalomorphs. That does make sense then. Really hard to tell. Best thing is keep that girl going as long as you can, and then we will find out.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
They're not true spiders, but mygalomorphs (like tarantulas). Therefore a longer lifespan is not surprising, but just how long is anyones guess.
Trapdoors in captivity live up to 20 years, so 8 years is not the least bit surprising to me.

Catfish, you can distinguish Mygalomorphae and Araneomorphae by 2 main anatomical features.

Booklungs (true spiders have no booklungs)
Downward striking fangs (true spiders fangs are like mandibles, pinching sideways)

SC Tarantulas

Arachnoknight
Very nice videos! Some of the doors in my house don't work that good. lol

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yep i knew the booklung and fang part about true spiders, but havent looked at my traps close enough to realize this. Thanks.
Trapdoors in captivity live up to 20 years, so 8 years is not the least bit surprising to me.

Catfish, you can distinguish Mygalomorphae and Araneomorphae by 2 main anatomical features.

Booklungs (true spiders have no booklungs)
Downward striking fangs (true spiders fangs are like mandibles, pinching sideways)

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Np. After awhile you just visually start to recognize other differences. Mygalids are always stocky and thick. You wont find any stocky thick true spiders that compare. The thickest, stockiest is probably Hogna, Dolomedes & Phoneutria.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah i understand that. I do like the stockiness of the traps, and large trues. I keep D. tenebrosus. They are some really cool spiders. Fast, defensive, and easy to care for.

danfekar

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm dragging this ancient thread back up for logging purposes; today I found my Gorgyrella dead in her burrow. It looked like a failed moult, as there was an exuvium partially stuck to her dried up body. It might have been my own fault, as the soil in her tank was a bit drier than what I usually keep it. Then again, it might have been old age or just pure bad luck.

She was in my care for 17 years :)