Trapdoor video (Gorgyrella sp.)

danfekar

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
WithCerberus said:
She is about the same size as my trapdoors then. Can you take some pics of the enclosure that you have her in? I really like seeing other people's set ups. I'll post some of mine when I get home today.
Bobby
Sure thing, but it's not very exciting though. She is currently living in a vase on my dinner-table.
Always popular when guests ask why I have soil and dry leaves in a vase. This topic usually rises during dinner, but no one has lost his/her appetite up until now, lol.

Attachments

WithCerberus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not exciting?!? That is such a cool idea. By far the coolest kitchen decoration I have ever seen. I may have to steal your idea when I get my Gorgyrella sp. Although my girlfriend may not be so excited about it. Oh well right {D
Bobby

chris73

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know this is an old thread, but WOW! Great stuff! How is that spider doing?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
oh great... now the trap door itch is back... must get trap... door....

awesome movie, thanks a lot

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
very old thread, i must say the vid is sooo awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

now i cant wait till i get my trapdoors!!! ahhh

hows the spider doing now?

danfekar

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
8 years have passed, and I figured it was time for an update :D

This lady is still going strong. I bought her in february 2002, so it'a approaching ten years in my care. She has molted once as far as I know (probably several times, but i've only observed the shed exuvium once), but has not grown noticeably in size.

This short clip was shot a couple of months ago - download.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
very cool stuff. that's crazy to have her that long, for a true spider. i got one that was five years old, and had to rehouse her, and once i did she wouldnt reburrow. she just sat around and died. now i have a red and black Gorgyrella sp. the red eats very well, and the black one never eats. i love looking down their burrows at how the lining of the burrow looks. thanks for an amazing update.

terancheped42

Arachnosquire
awesome videos i would love to have a trap door spider sometime but i like spiders that i can see lol

danfekar

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thx, yes I'm amazed that she's still with me. Even though they're mygalomorphs, hence not true spiders, but still wouldn't expect her to last this long. I think it was touch and go for about two months last year when she refused to feed and burrow, and got weaker by the day. Suddenly she just had a change of mind and made her den.
awesome videos i would love to have a trap door spider sometime but i like spiders that i can see lol
I don't see the problem. You see it everytime you feed it. Just make sure you don't blink :D

Oreo

Arachnocookie
very cool stuff. that's crazy to have her that long, for a true spider. i got one that was five years old, and had to rehouse her, and once i did she wouldnt reburrow. she just sat around and died. now i have a red and black Gorgyrella sp. the red eats very well, and the black one never eats. i love looking down their burrows at how the lining of the burrow looks. thanks for an amazing update.
Maybe your black spidey lives on the despair of the critters you toss in there...these trapdoors look quick!

danfekar

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Got my hands on a cheap 120fps point and shoot, and fortunately the spider was up for a snack. It looks like the meal almost gets away this time, but she reels it in anyway. Clip here :)