trapdoor/misc. burrowing setups

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
just curious to see how everybody keeps their trapdoor spiders and other assorted burrowing spiders, etc. post pics of your setups. I'm mainly trying to address the age old problem of letting the specimen indulge in natural behavior without losing visiblility.

John

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I had one I kept in a 1 gal plastic container. I rarely saw her. She was a small species so I had considered putting her in one of those Antfarms. I think that might have worked with a modification or two. She would have webbed the plastic but, maybe with a flashlight on the other side of the Farm, I might have been able to see where she was. That wouldn't have been much but, better than nothing I guess. I found this one on my kitchen floor last year. I never got an ID. I think it might have been what's called a Folding-door spider(?). I recently shipped her off. I had thought about putting together something similar to an Antfarm from glass or plexi. Maybe if you covered the sides from light when you're not looking, they might not web as much.

Here's a better shot of one of the containers. Definitely not a fancy display cage.

Last edited:

Natemass

Arachnolord
Old Timer
havnt used them for trapdoors but i can seem them working pretty well, as they work good for Ts, i think they cost 1.89 at walmart

well apparently i cant find the pic but the rubbermaid .5 and 1 gallon clear contairs are def nice. check em out

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
No pics but the container in the forefront in the last pic posted by Galapoheros is what I have my Black Widows in. Very nice.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
thank you, but black widows do not burrow.

John
No, I am commenting on the containers themselves, they're precisely the same type I keep my widows in (with about an inch/inch and half of substrate and cork bark lean-to). And can definitely be used for burrowing trapdoor species of spiders as demonstrated in Galapoheros' pics. I love them with the snap tops.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No, I am commenting on the containers themselves, they're precisely the same type I keep my widows in (with about an inch/inch and half of substrate and cork bark lean-to). And can definitely be used for burrowing trapdoor species of spiders as demonstrated in Galapoheros' pics. I love them with the snap tops.
oh, i see. sorry bout that.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
oh, i see. sorry bout that.
No apologies necessary. I found these containers at a local Target (in the rubbermaid kitchen storage aisle) and probably can be found at other retail stores. The lid screws off allowing maximum access and screws on with a nice snapping top for feeding and watering. There is even a larger (but thinner?), taller variety with which can serve a purpose for arboreal tarantula slings or other web-building and trap door spiders.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No apologies necessary. I found these containers at a local Target (in the rubbermaid kitchen storage aisle) and probably can be found at other retail stores. The lid screws off allowing maximum access and screws on with a nice snapping top for feeding and watering. There is even a larger (but thinner?), taller variety with which can serve a purpose for arboreal tarantula slings or other web-building and trap door spiders.
yes, i have several of these jars. i was kind of curious if anyone had ever tried an antfarm style setup, or something similar to it.