Trap Doors

dragontears

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
He looks to be mature...he's probably out wanting to wander and look for females...
Check to see if you the "boxing gloves" and if so...find a female for him! WE REALLY NEED TO BREED THESE IN CAPTIVITY! There will not be WC imports anymore...

Chris
He definitely has what I would consider boxing gloves, but I can't see hooks. I have a picture at home...I'll try to remember to upload it tonight. Do you know anyone that wants him if he is wanting some spider love?

jen1302

Arachnopeon
P.Novak great vid can't wait to get one myself a Cyphonisia sp.
Silver Trapdoor.

anaconda19

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
theyre so damn ugly thos things, but i still want one, one which makes a trap door sounds soooo cool and the vids on youtube of their speed make them look cool. but youve got to admit theyre one of the uglyest spiders around

jen1302

Arachnopeon
The Orange and Silver are nice looking as there what i'm currently thinking on getting pair of both hopefully from Lee at TheSpiderShop.

lewisskinner

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi guys. I had two of these arrive today - sold as Gorgyrella sp, one silver, one red. They're both quite small (bearing in mind I usually deal with Ts) with a body of maybe 1 inch, so I assume these are juvis?

Will they be OK in a jam jar with hole in the lids? The jars are 4 1/2 inches deep x 2 1/2 inches in diameter, so I'll put in 3 inches to coco fibre and some moss for a trap. Or, do they need a larger-sized terranium? I got one 12 x 8 x 8 deep. Could I put both in there with some kind of divider (ie half-tank each)?

jen1302

Arachnopeon
I have a small selection of Tarantulas and the only thing i have, that's like a trapdoor in a couple of way's is a Cyriocosmus elegans (Trinidad Dwarf with the loveheart on rump) fiesty as hell and bad temper for her size, hates the lid on her burrow being removed when cleaning her out.

lewisskinner

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Seriously guys! loads of you have posted pics of trapdoors, how do I kep them? Is a jam jar OK for a 1inch body (2-3inch legspan) spider, or do I need an entire viv?

jen1302

Arachnopeon
I use Exo Terra Faunariums Small 24L x 16W x 17H cm for my Cyphonisia sp.
Silver Trapdoor 5 cm and deep substrate for burrowing.

I think jam jar will be ok.

lewisskinner

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks Jen.

I have both in jam jars, but it's way too small for the black fella!

I may shift them both into a large KK-type enclosure with a divider down the middle.

I'm using coco fibre as a substrate, and I've thrown in broken bits of bark and sphagnum moss to build the door. What do you use for the guys to build a door?

jen1302

Arachnopeon
Mine uses it's own silk and old leaves and same with female Cyriocosmus elegans.

lewisskinner

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well thats great! I'll chuck in some coco, moss and bark, and see what happens. I hear these guys try to camoflage teir burrows, so I guess whatever's to hand may/will be used?

We shall see anyway.

I'll post some pics once my camera is fixed. The red tanzanian sp. scares the hell out of me!

DreadLobster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I love my red trapdoor! she makes a mess of the top of her cage with the poop shooting thing. i was wondering how far it would shoot if there was no top on the cage. i have never seen it, but i imagine she backs out of the hole and let it fly. anyone ever seen it?
I've never actually seen it happen, but I do know that even shooting through the lid on the cage, it left spots on a wall about 4 or 5 feet away in my bed room.

tarantellajen

Arachnopeon
silver brushfooted trapdoor

I got this one in March, at about 1 inch. When I rehoused it, it burrowed and ate overnight! It's really fast and nervous, so the trapdoor makes me feel alot safer (escape-wise) when I clean out remains. It is a very good housekeeper and will throw all its garbage out, except molts, so I still don't know its sex. Can't wait til it gets its adult silver coloring, although I do love the pattern on its abdomen at the moment. They are really fascinating spiders.

Last edited:

jen1302

Arachnopeon
I haven't seen mine since the day after i got in as it's in it's burrow and i only see part of it when grabbing food so don't know it's sex yet and if a mature spider.

Will have to wait and see.

jen1302

Arachnopeon
Mine was sold as Cyphonisia sp at spidershop but found out from searches it's a Gorgyrella sp.

Silver brushfooted trapdoor

Diggy415

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well i had to rehouse mine and boy was it thirsty, now in a 5 gallon tank. Is it ready for molt when it's pale like this? Was bright red when i first got it.